AirCanada

MacBook (non-Pro)

Does anyone have one yet?

What do you think?

Is the shared video ram sufficient to work with video? What about HD video?

With a build up to a 120GB hard drive and putting 2GB of aftermarket RAM in each of them, the Macbook ends up being about 1000$CAD cheaper than the Pro. The only significant differences then being the dedicated video RAM in the pro, and the slightly faster processor.

That's a big price difference.

What do you think?

Very good

Is the shared video ram sufficient to work with video?

yes

What about HD video?

HDV: yes.
720p: to edit in FCP.
1080p: in a pinch.

With a build up to a 120GB hard drive and putting 2GB of aftermarket RAM in each of them, the Macbook ends up being about 1000$CAD cheaper than the Pro. The only significant differences then being the dedicated video RAM in the pro, and the slightly faster processor.

That's a big price difference.

Yep. The MBP is sort of a tweener computer right now. It's waiting for the Merom chip from Intel [64 bit] to become a true "pro" laptop. Right now it's a low-end pro laptop... because there really isn't any high end yet.

The MB is a very fast machine and it's very capable. But you have to remember that it is a consumer machine. Don't expect to run Motion or do any compositing or any high-end editing. Don't expect it to run games very well. But for what it is... it's fantastic.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I just found out about this Apple document that says that the MacBook is not suitable to use with Final Cut Studio...due to the integrated video.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

The Unofficial Apple Weblog (tuaw.com) posted this article regarding testing done on the MacBook by Creative Mac using FCP and other FCS apps. It appears to hold up pretty well...performs at least as well as a dual G5 Powermac!

Some of the comments are pretty interesting.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I've just been through the macbook buying decision process. If you normalise the price, getting rid of the memory in the machines because you'll want 2.0gb whatever and you won't buy from apple cos it's a rip off.... You end up with a price diff between the 2.0 white macbook and the 2.0 macbook pro of around $560. That's basically for a 15" display. better graphics card, more dedicated graphics memory, an express slot, back lit keyboard. It's up to you if it's worth the money. I bought a 15" one with a 23" display and the combination rocks. One of the main things that put me off the macbook was the glossy screen. You really should make sure you see one in person before you make a buying decision. The glossy stuff makes colours artificially richer but it also reflects the room behind you!!! For photo and video editing I think that makes it a real no no.

Hope that helps a bit!
Franz

http://www.stuntphoto.com
https://www.burblesoftware.com