irisheyes

Any photography buffs out there?

Well I finally have time to get back into photography and was looking for some advice:

1) I have a 35mm with a 28 - 80mm and a 70 - 300mm lens, and I am ready for a new one but I can't decide if I should invest in a 50mm or a wide angle.

2) Also, any recommendations for a decent but inexpensive digital camera? Not looking to do anything extraordinary with it, just want one as a back up.

I was VERY heavy into photography before my current obsession.:ph34r:
I even have my own darkroom and minilab

anyway to the question you asked re lenses. What lens you want depends ENTIRELY on what sort of pictures you want to take.
if you want to do portraits then a prime 100mm lens would be the way to go.
Landscapes lend themselves to wider angles.
As far as long lenses unless you are going to go Full on ito sports, or nature photography the 70-300 will cover most of what you whant to do.
good Tele lenses are expensive (so are good wides:D:D)

So what do you want to do?????
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

there's nothing wrong with posting in here...

I enjoy photography... I've always had an interest in it and I took an introductory course a few years ago in college. I also constructed a B&W dark room with some hand me down darkroom equipment from my uncle (and my parents had an ideal location in there house... B|)

in the last six months I've switched to a digital SLR and I really enjoy it... (there are still interesting things that can be done with film, Infrared film can produce interesting effects for example)

I have a Canon Rebel XT w/a 18-200 mm lens (I also have a 17mm fixed lens as well for future use skydiving.)

I'd like to add a 90-100 mm (f2.8 macro) for portrates and Macro photography.

In addition, I would like to add a high quality flash...

Feel free to check out some photos on my website (below) oh... I also do some post image editing....

take it easy,

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

How cool, I have always wanted my own darkroom!!!

I'm mostly into landscape and nature, as I travel a lot (portraits are generally only of my dogs and bird). So I was more inclined to go with the wide angle. Just not sure what one. I actually went to price them recently and several were easily twice what I paid for my camera:S

I have only taken one photography class and the teacher kept recommending we all invest in the 50mm so I was wondering what I was missing not having one. She seemed to rely on hers heavily.

I have only taken one photography class and the teacher kept recommending we all invest in the 50mm so I was wondering what I was missing not having one. She seemed to rely on hers heavily.

I love my "nifty fifty." I don't do lots of portraitures, but it's a joy to play with when I do - mostly my family, and the occasional nude/semi nude (at their request). I do lots of sports and animal stuff, so don't use the 50 often...but there have been times where it's been invaluable. Keep in mind that wide angle really only is useful for large shots, and thus is limited in that regard.

One of my favorite sites on the 'net for learning more about photography is http://www.photography-on-the.net. It's a Canon based site, but not sponsored by Canon. You can get tons of tips, share photos and get critique, and learn tons and tons of new stuff there. They also have a great used-for-sale section, where you can pick up a Canon 300 or 350 for relatively cheap (and far more trustworthy than Ebay). You can also buy used lenses that are in good condition, too...and all the accoutrements to go with your kit.

I shoot a Canon 20D. When I'm shooting sports (like skydiving or motorcross) I use my long lense - an 75-300. I have a 35-80 and a macro, too. I'm still learning a ton, and being able to fool around in PS helps a lot because I can see the results if I had exposed things differently, or used a different light source.

I don't know a ton yet - the learning curve is still accelerating - but if you have questions I'd be more than happy to try and help.

Ciels-
Michele

Edited to correct url. And 'cause Bob.Dino is smarter than me! ;)

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Just visited your website, the photos of Karma are great, especially the post image editing ones:)
Very nice of your parents to let you construct your own darkroom!!!

I love film and have not been completely won over by digital yet, but I guess I have not really given it a fair chance. I currently have a Canon Rebel 2000 and in the last six years or so it has gone all over the world with me so I don't really want to replace it. Though I have been tempted by the Canon Rebel XT you mentioned. I might just have visit the camera store again the weekend:)
Thanks,
Carol

Very nice of your parents to let you construct your own darkroom!!!

Well the "room" was not being used for anything else if that's what you want to call it... :D it was an old water closet.. to make it useful I painted all the walls with a water sealing paint, poured a concrete floor with drainage system built in... and generally made the room useful...

(assuming that is you're not over about 5'8"... at that's pretty much the height of the so called "room"

:D

oh... I'm glad you liked my photos... B|

Well the "room" was not being used for anything else if that's what you want to call it... :D it was an old water closet.. to make it useful I painted all the walls with a water sealing paint,

If it was a water closet wouldnt it already be water proof? I mean if your going to store water it it? And you went and put a drain in it too? How can it hold water anymore?
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

If it was a water closet wouldnt it already be water proof? I mean if your going to store water it it? And you went and put a drain in it too? How can it hold water anymore?

lets see... the house was constructed in the mid-late 19th century... I'm thinking over time the walls became more porus... (I'm just basing it on the fact that there was mildew on the walls)

And you went and put a drain in it too?

Techincally we added a sump pump to help prevent/reduce flooding in my parents basement...

How can it hold water anymore?

well... considering it probably hasn't been used as an actual water closet in over a century... and we only discovered it upon rebuliding one of the rooms of the house in the early 1980s... My father jack-hammered through the basement walls opening it up to the basement. (he discovered a Nickel three cent piece in the foundation from 1846 in the process...)

ultimately my parents were thrilled that I was putting the room to use and it gives them something (interesting) to point out to friends... who are intrigued by it... :D

never mind that they've gotten photos to put on their walls from my "hobby"... ;)

Some shots attached...realize I had never really done anything before getting the 20D last June...hope you enjoy. I have others, just no web site to put them up on.

Ciels-
Michele

Thanks, Icon. I sell some of my stuff over at TotallyPhotos.com (under the name of Noni Michele), and have had some nice success. The stuff I posted here are either not released, or smaller/lower quality versions. I'll have to check out your link...that would be nice, you know? Have a place I can park some of my stuff without it being for sale. I appreciate the link. Someone asked me to post some skydiving stuff, so let me resize/resample them, and I'll get them up here.

And yes, Carol, POT.N is a great, educational site. Again, primarily for Canon, but tips for photo and composition, lighting stuff and all that can be applied to any camera, film or digi.

Ciels-
Michele

I just took a brief look at www.photographyonthe.net. It is great!!! Can't wait till I have a little more time to look though it.

POTN is a great site - lots of good advice and great photogs on there.

The 50 is great for casual portraiture and general landscape work. At ~$75 for the 1.8, it's hard to say 'no' to!

The lenses that you already have should certainly work for general landscape photography. Further down the road you might consider the 10-22, 24-70 and 70-200 lenses if you feel you've outgrown your current lenses, but it's certainly not a requirement.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Some shots attached...realize I had never really done anything before getting the 20D last June...hope you enjoy. I have others, just no web site to put them up on.

Ciels-
Michele

Great photos, Michele!
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Great photos, Michele!

Thanks, Mike. :$:$ I have lots of fun with photography, and still have so very much to learn. I can't wait until I know more about things, and be able to replicate results I see with my own subjects and techniques. Not yet though; I'm still so new at all this...

As requested, I've attached a group of skydiving related stuff...since I don't jump a camera, it's all landings. I don't even have the numbers or currency to begin to think of shooting while jumping...

Enjoy!

Ciels-
Michele

I vote for the wide angle, as you already have 50mm covered in the zoom. The nice thing about a prime is you can get a very fast lens (f2 or less) and take some great natural light shots.

For a very good price on a fun digital SLR check out the Fuji S1 Pro at http://www.keh.com. It's older technology, but it does take good photos. If you want to spend more, there are many choices.

I still shoot film, as I like developing at home, and I know that I can always get a higher resolution scanner. Also, medium format is great if you want a step up in quality. Medium format gear costing many thousands of dollars a few years ago can be had dirt cheap nowdays.

See attached for a couple of my shots...

Zipp0

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

Another nice set of shots!

I posted a tandem landing back in Feb when I came back from vacation... it's damn hard (at least for me) to get the right light on the people. I know it has to do with the camera metering, but I just haven't "got it" yet.

In the meantime, I'm sticking with the sunrises/sunsets here on camp until my next trip home in July... then I'm gonna pick people's brains about what settings they use!!
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Last bit...my favorite shot of my father, and two macros: a spider and a grasshopper, both in my garden.

Enjoy!

Ciels-
Michele

Not sure what happened...but two didn't come up properly. I've deleted them and I'll redo them in the morning, if I remember, and repost. Sorry...

Very nice stuff, Scott! I love the light quality in "Stoney Creek." What was the post on that?

Ciels-
Michele

Post? Michele, how dare you make such an insinuation!;)

Ha ha... Actually, I used a filter on the lens. It was the Cokin Yellow/Blue polarizing filter. Check them out - the effects you can get are very cool. Shot it on Fuji Velvia.

BTW Michele, I love the flamingo shot. The bold color against the black is striking, as is the lighting.

Zipp0 (aka Scott)

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.