masher

Racers and Riggers

I have done FF dives with my Racer ELITE and don't think it has anything more or less exposed than my Mirage does. I have the velcro on the riser covers and it works fine. I agree, velcro needs to be replaced when worn but the same can be said about any piece of equipment. I currently use my Racer just for Birdman jumps since it is the most comfortable rig out there (IMO) and I have no issues with deployments that other rigs/owners seem to have althoguh I don't have any of the container mods done. I think that is due in part to the way the bottom of the container is constructed and the ease of clean D bag deployments, again IMO. I think having the reserve pins against the jumpers back is a good idea as I've seen plenty of other rigs reserve pins "pop" out just by the person siting down and bumping/rubbing against something.

I think riggers that shy away from racers are just not taking the time to learn how racers are packed, which is a shame since one should strive to be a subject matter expert if your going to be a all around rigger. A rigger not being able to pack a racer reserve is like a mechanic saying he only works on brand X car cause thats what he's used to working on. I have the reserve packing instructions from jumpshack and while I'm not a rigger, I found them no more difficult than any other manufacturers reserve instructions. I think Racers are good containers. To those who say it's "old" technology I say show me a container that is fundamentally different from what was used 10,15, 20 or 30 years ago.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I've gone over this before and it was very insinuated that there was nothing to back it up. PM me if you care too.

Racers are not a mystery to pack. That's not an issue. Several jumpers at the DZ I frequent had them. Here are few of the first names of the jumpers. Rob, Heather, Jani (sounds line Yonny), John, Mike. Marty.

(there are others but this will do)

Rob. World class freeflyer training with some well known flyers Mike and Charles... perhaps you've heard of them. After new velcro (the same stuff jump shack uses) and a good lesson on how to close the sides properly. Peeled open numerous times. After a few reserve rides, he quit jumping it. Heathers was quite old but not an sst.)Peeled open, I stopped her, No trouble on opening. This kept happening even after maintainance enough times she quit freeflying in it and she had plenty of reason not too. Jani (ex DZO), elite model. No velcro down the sides. Just let the risers go as soon as he was on his back or head down.. he was a flailer so it was very multi dimensional, Much fun.. He quit freefying in it. John... Load organizer extraordinaire. Always has and always will jump Racers. I jumped with him one time and after I stopped him and then showed the video, He stopped freeflying in it. john can sit fly pretty well and one of his rigs works just fine for that. He can't stay on his head for any length of time and has had no trouble. He does mostly Belly flying. Mike Skysurfed a while and Bought a different rig right away. Marty is a Belly flyer. The only trouble was on a rodeo dive. Great Malfuntion after the sides came open as the rider pulled the sides open... that was a fluke. OH I forgot one. Pat a skysurfer. His is nice. It's smallish properly sized and stays shut. He still has his. Hasn't put more than a couple hundred (if that ) jumps on it.

As for Birdman, the main container would be Great. The main flaps fall open completely, allowing a clean extraction off the back. Very good feature for Birdman.

Am I apposed to Packing them? Nah.. that's not a problem. Old technology? Well yes but as Lou pointed out, The functionality has not changed that much in many other rigs.

The difference is how it's designed to stay shut under adverse conditions. I'll competely disagree that the mirage and the Racer are exposed the same. But then again. I freefly almost exclusively

Now that said, I'm still curious to see the newest line just to compare.

Racer fans like em and they like em for a reason.

There is something that someone doesn't like about anything. So I'm not a racer fan, big deal. I'll still maintain them.

-
-
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

One fundamental characteristic I don't like about Racers is that the reserve has to be compressed "all at once". On other rigs, the reserve goes in the container, a flap is closed, temporary pinned, another flap is closed, temporary pinned, and so on. At each step one can work the reserve a little more to shape and compress it, and make sure there'll be enough slack in the closing loop to close the remaining flaps.

On the Racer, all the flaps go over the bodkins with nothing to really compress the bag. Then the pilot chute is pulled down onto the pack to tighten it all at once. It works but I prefer the more gradual process.

(I don't have a lot of experience packing Racers, however.)

Peter

I've always thought that a good pack job on a Racer is the mark of a good rigger....if you can do a good job and make a Racer look good...then you're good, damn good.

I've jumped Racers for 21 years now. I like the pin protection of the reserve and the excellent pilot chute launch. I've never had a problem with the velcro riser covers coming undone when doing stand-ups and freestyle stuff but haven't done any head down in one. I have to say that I am hesitant to do so because of the potential for problems.

But, for a starter rig for somebody who is planning on flat-flying in it...I think it would be fine.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Here's a little trick.
After the bodkins are in place, put a molar strap on the floor. Put the pilot chute on top of it and compress it. Hold it closed with the Molar strap.

Close the rig. Tighten the Closing loop down a bit and remove the molar strap. works like a charm.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I agree with Hook, any rig is easy if you know the tricks.

Sure, but as it has been stated, some riggers (for whatever reason) don't take the time to learn how to repack different containers, or in some cases, will refuse to repack certain brands of containers. I would love to see a rigger start a seperate thread about types of containers they would not repack and their reasons for those decisions. Maybe I could learn something from that. --- HINT

I have an older racer, an SST in fact. It has been back to Jumpshack and had the tuck tabs installed and the velcro replaced. It can be a pain to pack sometimes particularly the riser cover down the side, but the rigger who does my reserve has no problems with it. This is my first container and it is extremely comfortable. It fits my back very snugly. I have not had any problems with the velcro, but it is new. I keep it very clean. The guy who usually packs for me is less than fond of it but he's a pro and does a good job. Although I have not had a reserve ride on it yet, it is my undestanding that it is the fastest deploying reserve. Feel free to PM me.
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

Update:

I bought the Racer. Before I bought it I took it to a rigger to have it checked out. He said that the rig would last me for years.

He replaced the velcro on the riser covers, converted it to BOC and installed soft links.

Also, he's a Racer fan. The reserve pack on it looked neat to me, but he told me how it could be improved (seat the PC down more, reduce snagability).

I've found a Racer friendly rigger :)
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

One fundamental characteristic I don't like about Racers is that the reserve has to be compressed "all at once". On other rigs, the reserve goes in the container, a flap is closed, temporary pinned, another flap is closed, temporary pinned, and so on. At each step one can work the reserve a little more to shape and compress it, and make sure there'll be enough slack in the closing loop to close the remaining flaps.

On the Racer, all the flaps go over the bodkins with nothing to really compress the bag. Then the pilot chute is pulled down onto the pack to tighten it all at once. It works but I prefer the more gradual process.

(I don't have a lot of experience packing Racers, however.)

Peter

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hint, if you use an adjustable temporary loop, then you can tension each flap as you close it. The only disadvantage with this method is that you have to fingertrap the pull-up cord into itself to finish the job.

Oh, and I always wrap a molar strap around the pilotchute when closing Racers.