robbie

mac editing software

iPhot does some basic editing features and it comes on your mac. I use Photoshop CS. Apeture looks really good, but I haven't gotten my hands on it yet. On the video side, Final Cut Express is awesome.

I have used the iphoto but it is very basic it wont let me resize the pics and crop the bits i want. I used photoshop on a windows computer and found it tricky to use but i'll look for the Final Cut Express cheers Rob

...it wont let me resize the pics and crop the bits i want...

Yes it will. It's actually quite simple. I'm sure you've already done some research on your own before just posting a thread, but here is where you want to be.

Cropping if you can't find it.

To resize, just select the photo(s) you want to resize, go to the File menu and select "Export". Just choose the size/format/whatever in the window that appears.

iPhoto has brightness, contrast, exposure, saturation, temperature, tint, clipping, levels and sharpening control, as well as the ability to straighten an image, crop an image, resize an image, correct red-eye, eliminate blemishes and minor lens flare, etc. For 95% of people, it's overkill.

RTFM, hope this helps.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Just echoing what Brook (MB38) said...iPhoto is very easy to use and sounds like it will take care of what you need to do. I originally thought I was going to need additional software until I started using iPhoto, now it's all I need. I will have to buy Photoshop CS for school next semester, but if it were not required I wouldn't be getting it.
Miami

unless I have missed it when I resize a picture it crops the pic rather than resizing it to fit? it gives you choices like 3x2 rather than 640x480? there is a box for custom size but when I ok it it crops the pic rather than resizing it? Rob

Sorry yes it does. like you said when you click export it gives the option of resizing it there. It then saves it to a folder and you have to reopen the file again. It's under the share tab not the file tab. I know it's no excuse for not reading the manual but it's not in the most intuitive of places is it?

Sorry yes it does. like you said when you click export it gives the option of resizing it there. It then saves it to a folder and you have to reopen the file again. It's under the share tab not the file tab. I know it's no excuse for not reading the manual but it's not in the most intuitive of places is it?

First off, it is under the file menu... not the share menu. I just double-checked.

And for most [99%] of people, there is no reason to lower the resolution of a picture until you are trying to get the picture out of the application. Lowering the resolution and quality to 640x480... then saving that picture in iPhoto? That's nonsense. You lower the resolution so you can email it, put it in a website, etc. Most of those features are covered with single buttons [like the "email" button], but the "export" feature is left for the sake of getting a picture out of iPhoto. That way, the original/high quality version stays safe in your iPhoto library.

For example: I want to post a picture here. I fire up iPhoto, find the picture and export it at 640x480 to my desktop. I then choose the file [which is really easy to find because it's on my desktop] and attach it to a post. After it's uploaded, I just trash the 640x480 picture... because I have no more use for it. The high resolution original is still safe in my iPhoto library.

Putting "export" in the File menu is standard across the industry. Personally, I feel that it is the most intuitive place for it to be.

Make sense now?

I think you might be using a different software to me? It is in share. have a look at the pictures. I think most of the problems i'm having are thats it's just a different way of doing it from what i'm use to

Sorry posred the same pic twice there?
Rob

Yeah, looks like you're using iPhoto 5, I'm using iPhoto 6. That would explain the discrepancies.

Beyond the location of export, the features I described should remain the same.

...also if it's a new intel mac, I'd not rush out and buy photoshop / photoshop elements as there is no universal binary as yet, so it runs under emulation mode (slow) until the next version expected first half of next year!!! :(

It isn't an Intel Mac, they all ship with iLife '06.

But your point remains: If you have an Intel Mac... don't buy Photoshop until CS3 surfaces in 2007. It's still functional, but not exactly fast.

[Command-Shift-3] = Full screen shot to your desktop as a PDF.
[Command-Shift-4] = Partial screen shot to your desktop as a PDF.
[Command-Shift-Space-4] = Click on a window to save a shot to your desktop as a PDF.
[Command-Shift-Control-3] = Full screen shot to your clipboard.
[Command-Shift-Control-4] = Partial screen shot to your clipboard.
[Command-Shift-Control-Space-4] = Click on a window to send a shot to your clipboard.