piisfish

cutaway systems for helmets ?

Can you post pictures of EFFICIENT cutaway sytems, which have been prooved to work under tension ?

Big issues in France these days on 2 systems which were considered safe and which actually break with no release possibility or do not release well under tension.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Here is one from a previous discussion. They seem to be quite effective and simple. Look for Phreezone's response and pics.

http://dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=178338;page=1;mh=-1;guest=848730;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

I have a gaffer tape cutaway. I really need to make a proper one... The gaffer tape is better than nothing, but still isn't as good as the real thing!
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Friends and I couldn't make phree's system work under a load. If the helmet's being pulled from your head there's a load through the chin cup onto the sprung bolt through which the pin passes. We've found the load on that bolt can cause it to lock despite the force of the spring. Of course it does work without the load so this is not to say it's a crappy system or anything - it's a mod that costs virtually nothing and is better than fiddling with a buckle.

On the other hand you can knock up a 2-ring release system from on old set of risers also pretty much for free. I'm sure you can find old un-airworthy risers hanging around any DZ - that's 2 cutaways per set that can easily be made to work under a high load.

Another cheapy cheap system can be done to helmets with a ratchet on the chin cup. Drill two holes in the hook section of the ratchet Pass a split ring or cable tie through those holes (making sure you don't obstruct the working of the ratchet) and stick a suitable handle such as an old S-link hat (or similar) on the end.

You now have a soft handle stuck out the side of your chin cup which if pulled lifts the hook of the ratchet clear of the rail and as your hand moves away from your face whole chin cup follows. Again, costs virtually nothing but is a nice efficient way of removing a ratchet operated chin cup. Note this only works where the rail is attached to the helmet and the ratchet is on the cup.

I'm not replying to anyone in particular in this thread!!
I just bought the AirGun cutaway and there is now another part which is not show in the French evaluation. There is a metal sleeve which sits outside of the shaft on the red button. This sleeve contacts the helmet, so I assume this is to releive some of the pressure from the sideways force created when the helmet (body) is hanging from a riser/line.
I've no idea how much difference this will make to the release pressure, not having tested it ...