lolla87

PC in tow, then horseshoe mal.

Do you film in a sit position? That is the only reason I could even remotely think of for going behind your legs with the wings... I set my Dakine Rags suit up with clips on the front for belly, and clips on the back for sit, but the wings were not that big, nor was the gap created when I flipped over at pull time...

You may want to rethink your suit a little...

J

Hi lolla
Well done for dealing with the problem! There is a Cypres promo video that shows somebody not dealing with this situation who is on his side until the Cypres fires.

Is it possible for somebody to take a photo of how you were wearing the suit and post it on here?

I think i know what you mean - i just cannot believe that you were advised to wear the suit this way.

gary
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

I know this is a little off topic but Im going to make this post anyway.

I watched the segment from the real TV clip, which was inaccurate anyway, but the thing that annoys me the most is that at no point during the interview did the skydiver take responsibilty for his malfunction. IF infact he had the same type of malfunction as described in the aforementioned posts, he should have said that his incident, was preventable. Proper gear inspection and ruling out the possibilty of ways an incident could occur would have helped. The segment on real TV does NOTHING to promote this sport in a positive manner.

Sooooo maybe in retrospect- 200 jumps and jumping camera already: perhaps a bit early??

Also, having the suit inspected AFTER the fact? This is one of the things you should have been thinking about BEFORE this type of thing happened.

As a matter of fact, maybe you shouldn't be jumping a camera and camera suit with 200 jumps."

And maybe you should have the facts before posting......(no misinterpretation there....)

I am not going to defend her, as she needs no defence....However, I will comment on the reason she posted and that was to inform and educate.

With a profile like yours, it does not qualify you to make sweeping generalisations like that.... or do I have the full facts???

Statements like yours put people off posting information useful to the wider community, come back to the table when you have something positive to contribute.

Bryn
Journey not destination.....

scary thing. glad you'r ok and cheers for handleing it. thanx for sharing it here and open the discussion! i want to try a suit on next weekend for doing camera for a 4W. now i have some more things to check and think about...
http://www.orikuper.printroom.com

O.k., I might be beating a dead horse here, but I think it needs to be said again. To start with, Glad you lived. You were lucky! What I'm about to say may seem a bit abrasive, but I'm hoping you don't take offense to it. It comes from many years and thousands of skydives flying in all diciplines of camera. I started filming early in my skydiving career and in retrospect, I was way too young! Granted, modern technology has decreased the size and profile of the cameras available today. Some might make an argument that this makes flying camera more safe and they would be right. However, it's the situations that a camera flyer finds him or herself in that are the real concern. As a camera flyer, you become a magnet for nasty situations. You need to have the ability anticipate the worst case scenario, expect that it will happen, and fly accordingly.
Now, many people out there have cameras on their heads. People that are jumping low profile camera helmets and going out just to skydive. They get what they get. However; There is a dramatic change that takes place once you add a sight, or a status indicator, or a wingsuit (especially a large winged suit)! You are adding a series of checklists that didn't exist before. In turn, taking attention away from what you should be focusing on (i.e. becoming a proficient body pilot.) Anything can happen up there, and in my experience, it eventually does. You need to be able to #1.) Save yourself. #2.) Be able to say you're not putting others at unnecessary risk. In the several thousand skydives and twelve years I've spent in the sport, I have never known someone that had 200 skydives and was ready to put themselves in positions or situations that required a large winged jumpsuit (i.e. filming tandems, flying above or below formations, etc..)
My advice to you is this; take the suit out of the equation for a while. Jump the camera and have fun on your skydives. Don't bother with the whole"getting the shot" thing, be more concerned about flying safely and developing your skills as a good all-around skydiver. Where a hook knife and hopefully a cutaway system on your helmet. Keep in mind that everybody is trying to kill you when you're flying camera, it's your job to prevent that and see it before it becomes a problem. If you take a little time, let yourself grow as a skydiver, you will grow into the wingsuit as well. Good luck!

"Try not! Do, or do not.... there is no try."
--Yoda