lewmonst

Something with Acrobat and IE is freezing my computer

Have you applied all patches and updates to both programs?

Have you tried using Firefox as your browser?

Are there Windows alternatives to using Acrobat to view pdfs? I use the builtin Preview on my Mac as it is tons faster. I find Acrobat takes forever to load and is slow. The only time I use it is when I need to use a fillable pdf form.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Even if you uninstalled Acrobat, your system could have thousands of .tmp files left over on it. Search your filesystem for all of the acr*.tmp files and delete them.

When you say that it doesn't download the new version, I'm assuming that you are attempting the install off the web page and it just seems to stop responding...if so, you might need to press Alt-Tab to make the "accept or decline" window appear. This screen is sometimes hidden behind other windows during the setup.

Also, check C:\Documents and Settings\{user name}\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\Acrobat\7.0\Cache and delete all the files in there if there are any.

It also doesn't hurt to run disk cleanup occassionally to delete all temporary files from your machine.

Just some things to try.