Faber

wideangel vid vers stills

Heya guys..
Im out looking for a wideangel lens for my Canon 350´D(Rebel xt i think it is in US). however i would like one that fit my weiv of my Sony pc 105E whith a 0.39mm on(special built)lets call that 0.40 or 0.42mm
how do i calculate a objectiv for my stills cam so i get the same weiv at my stills as whith my video.
which lenses do you recomens?

my sony cam is more narrow than many other cams therefore i were pleased when i found a lense that fits to my weiv(like i see the same distance in the video as i see when i record. that i would like to add into the stills cam aswell.

is that a 10mm(as the 350d aint fullframe) ill need?

cheers
Faber

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Hey Faber,

I have a 350D and a Sony PC101 with a .45 Way Cool lense.

As you probably know the numbers don't mean very much, the same number from different lens manufacturers gives a different result. E.g. many people say that a Sony .6 is similar to a Waycool .45

That aside i think that 10mm will be way too wide to match up with your video lens, I'd guess around 20mm would be close. I use the Canon EF-S 10-22mm Zoom.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=351542&is=USA&addedTroughType=search

Quite a few people use it for skydiving with good results. Sigma make a similar lense 10-20mm that's a bit cheaper. A friend of mine has the Sigma but I haven't heard how it's working for him yet.

The Zoom lens is a bit longer (physically) than say a fixed Sigma 15mm but only 15g heavier and not much more expensive.

I really like mine, it doesn't distort the image like the Fisheye lenses either.

C-ya

im looking for a fixed lens for serval reassons.. guess ill need to ask a manufactor if i can borrow one out for a BASE or two:ph34r::D

You don't need to actually jump with the lens to figure out the FOV. :P

Go into a camera store with your DVcam and wide lens. And bring your 350D. Ask the salesman if you can try a lens on your camera and see how it matches up with the DV FOV by aiming at the wall or something. B|
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

hey,

Pc 105 lens : 50 - 500 mm
* 0.39 = 19.5 - 195

So if you're using your 105 at its widest then I'd say a 20mm would match. Then again luke is right in saying that numbers don't mean much so trying a couple of them in a shop is not a bad idea at all.

Later.
P.

Edited to add: I forgot to take the crop factor of the 350 d in consideration so: 20 divided by 1.6 gives you 12.5 mm which seems extremely wide. (again numbers don't mean much)

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

the 1.6 crop factor makes the image less wide, not more wide.

So a 20mm lens is really 32mm after the crop factor conversion.

But he was saying that if you want 20mm, you need 12.5mm lens (BEFORE the conversion).
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Hi Stefan,

If you want to buy it online it will be hard to try it at the store :)
If you want to, put yourself at, say, 3 meters from a wall with your PC105E and 0.39 on. Measure how wide your picture gets and let us know. I can try a few lenses on a 1.6 stills and see which one gets closer to your actual FOV.

BlueSkies,

Carlos

Carlos Martins
Portugal www.cj.smugmug.com