velocityphoto

Post your flash setup??

What do you have (if anything) holding the cord on the top of your helmet. It's not clear from the picture if it's strapped at some point, or just held between the camera and flash themselves.

Also It looks from your picture your using one strap and a zip tie??? Is that right or is it something else?

On a slightly different note, I'm also curious if anyone can list any advantages / disadvantages of mounting the flash on it's side vs flat (if that makes sense).

Thanks

Fuzzy
Ambition / Ability: Know the difference.

I'd like to see some more detailed photo's of this flash on its side ? And how does the angle work ,since its oposite the still angle?

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

I would like to see a better shot of your setup with that pc cam on the side if that is how your still set up. Can't see it every good in that small photo of you.

And I can't get video-in-the-skys page to open up for 9 hours now?
I would like to see some flash set ups as well, I'm resetting up my system and have a flash now too.

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I'd like to see some more detailed photo's of this flash on its side ? And how does the angle work ,since its oposite the still angle?

Let me know which kind of photos you want of this.. more of the setup, or more of the photos taken with it?

The angle of the flash has worked fine for me, it hasn't been a problem.

Here are pics of mine as it was last year.

Right now I'm in the process of re-mounting everything. I'm going to try to put the (new/not pictured) 30D on the right and the (new/not pictured) pc-1000 on the left. Just trying to find time to work on it.

I don't jump with the flash everytime. You will see a stroboframe on the back that I used to set up the flash attach point. That did two things for me. Allowed a quick(?) attach point and also a platform off set to the left where I needed it.

I have a second flash and can mount it to this rig. It works on the ground but I haven't jumped it yet with two flashes at the same time.

Nice shot on the pac 750 .I used that for my bus card ,when i get home i'll send ya my card so you can droul over my work .. LOL! :)
I want to see how you have the flash mounted ,is it on a quick release, is there a foam pad under it with a fastex strap on it ?

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Nice shot on the pac 750 .I used that for my bus card ,when i get home i'll send ya my card so you can droul over my work .. LOL! :)

You used a picture of me hanging on the PAC on your business card? :S that's weird dude.. ha ha!!

I know what you mean though, that plane is one hell of a good looking plane in photos!!

I want to see how you have the flash mounted ,is it on a quick release, is there a foam pad under it with a fastex strap on it ?

I have a special mount for the flash.. I'll post some pics of it tomorrow.

How's this for my card vdschoor? I set this up at the convention ,had ed dickenson take it for me. The shot i took of ed floating on front made parachutist.

How do the IR transmitters on the flashes work?

I understand they've got IR transmitters to help with focussing in very low light. Are these transmitters obstructed when the flash is lieing flat on the helmet?

Is there any advantage to have the flash "standing up" ?

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

The Auto-Focus Illumination works by transmitting a set grid pattern on the subject that it can use to focus on in low light situations. And yes, if you lay the flash down flat on the IR transmitter it will block the signal and the Auto-Focus Illumination won't work.

As for mounting the flash "standing up" or flat - My flash automatically switches to Bounce Flash mode when you lift the bulb from the body of the flash i.e laying it flat on the helmet - in that mode High Speed Synch on the camera no longer works and that drops the highest shutter speed down to 1/200 of a second. On the other hand, if I leave the flash standing up the High Speed Synch works and I can use shutter speeds up to 1/8000 or 1/4000 depending up the camera I'm using at the time.

Hope it helps,
Z

Action©Sports

Here are a few pics of the side mounted one you asked about stratostar.Hope this helps with any questions .
This is my workhorse helmet.
I have another new ftp also ,but i just never got comfy in it like i have been in this one .This one feels like part of me .I asked sherry at bonehead about some old lining material for my new one but she says they can't get any like the old stuff now days.My new one i can't seem to get it to bake solid like this one. I'm haveing some trouble sizing them to post on here ,so i'll try to pm them to you . I couldn't get them to you that way either ,help me out with an e-mail address that will accept the files ?
Lonnie

What are the options for finding a flash that is separate from the battery pack? I have been looking for a flash setup for lower light jumps, but don't want to have a large-mesh, vented canopy opening wearing a side PC9, top Rebel XT, and a flash/battery on top too.
Gravity Research Institute

I don't use Canon cameras but from the documentation I've been able to find on Canon (and from several Canon setups that I've seen in the past) they are limited to the x-synch speed of the camera - which on the 30D is 1/250 of a second.

The one way I know you can get around that on Canon is to use an FP (Focal Plane) flash unit - and FP flash units have a Bounce Lock when the bulb is raised above 0 degrees from the body.

Perhaps someone who uses Canon can give you more info....

Peace,
Z

Action©Sports

Lonnie,

Sorry about the delay, it's been a bit crazy the last couple of weeks.

Here you go.
Let me know if you want more photos..

The flash, together with the off camera shoe cord goes in the bracket, and that mounts on the helmet using a stroboframe.