hairymango

Tips for flying a Camera Jacket - Tandems

I'm lookin for advice on filming tandems with a camera jacket. Ive done some searching and cant find the info I need.
The TI's/Camera flyers that taught me about flyin camera told me to learn how to fly my body first and then use a camera suit/jacket second. So I done the first part and now need help with the second. I dont usually have a problem and get the money shot just flying my body in my freefly suit on my belly, but there have been a few jumps recently where I have sunk out as the passenger is 50kg and the TM isnt to heavy either. Im dearching, pulling them hips back, gettin big and I see the tandem floating above me out of shot. >:( So I have this nice new firefly medium wing jacket that would be perfect for these occasions if only I could fly it. I want to be able to fly it fast or slow and in full control - but I dont feel like Im in full control and still feel like wings are catching air even though my arms are in. I dont have a problem flying with my arms in on heavy tandems with my freefly suit on, but with the wings its a different story
So any tips on body position would be great, how do you fly with your wings collapsed? Do I have to put my arms behind my back to properly collapse them? what position are your arms? fast tandems I put my elbows to my hips and with my hands at my shoulder. how do I gradually increase/decrease speed? what are your thoughts on camera jackets V's Camera suits - am I at a disadvantage as I dont have drive from booties, or any drag on my legs if Im wearing shorts?
Thanks

Well, Your on the right track with the wings. The idea is dress for success. the wings are collapsed with your arms the way you describe. I do the exact same thing. Use a little logic here. If you slowly bring your arms in you will slowly increase your speed. if its a heavy tandem you wont need to wear a wing suit if you are a relitively light person.

Anticipate. Adapt. Practice.

In my opinion shorts are not dressing for success. you might need the drive from botties or at least somthing on your legs.

"It seemed like a good idea at the time"

I just got wing jacket (small wings, my own design) and made a couple of jumps with it and regular FF pants (Russian made, looks very much like Matters). I am rather heavy (90 kilos) so I could keep up on my back only with heavy tandems. Had no problems on my belly, but probably there is a risk to lose lightweight tandems if I made a mistake estimating their speed and go too fast. My previous suit was a big winged suit with booties, sure legs helps a lot; but I like a new jacket because I can go in every position - belly, back, sit. I do not think that shorts will be good idea - with wings you probably need more to compensate backslide if you are already below and looking up trying to keep framing

Flying with wings means you have to fly your legs a lot more than what you are used to.

Just think of it this way.. you have more drag up front (waist up) so you are going to have to fly your legs a lot more.

The more you expose your wings, the more you have to use your legs to compensate..
Try out your jacket on small belly ways instead of taking it straight on tandem jumps..

Let me know if you have any further questions..

Iwan

For a faster fall, try swinging your elbows in front of your belly and put your hands on you chest, This gets your jacket wings completely inside the wind-shadow of your torso, minimizing their drag.
Meanwhile, your feet are on your butt and you are arching your hips like crazy.
Try to picture a Super Mantis.
So the only thing left to steer with are our knees.

Thanks for the tips, spent 30 mins in the tunnel and found out what I was doing wrong. I found it easier to fly my arms in more of a box position than the usual way I fly which is mantis, then I collapse the wings by pulling elbows back first and then down to my sides, instead of just forcing my elbows down.......dont know if that makes sense? anyway it made it easier to control and I wasnt fighting the wings when I changed my fall rate. Then I was stable and able to move around with just my legs.