quinny

Nikon D70s I need a remote?

Good Choice of Cameras.....

the stock Nikon remote is MC-DC1....

It plugs into the accomodating port on the camera body, and is a very simple, non-processor
copper contact switch and shutter release.

We sucessfully used trial and error wire connecting, to splice a conceptus tongue switch onto the remote... ( you'll have to cut off the MC DC1 switch pendant and set it aside... ) ( I'd say leave a minimum of one foot of cable on it,, so that it CAN be respliced, for any reason...)

from the male Plug of the nikon switch,,,which goes to the camera, you will find 4 conductors and a stranded aluminum
casing wire.. the conductors from that wire are red, white, green and black, plus the stranded.

from the conceptus mouth trigger you will find,,, red, white and stranded alum.

This connection sequence worked for me..

red from nikon ..............not used
white from Nikon >>>>>> white from conceptus....
green from Nikon >>>>>> stranded alum from Conceptus
black from Nikon >>>>> red from conceptus
stranded alum from Nikon........ not used.

Take the time to solder each set of the twisted wires and then carefully tape each connection so they can't touch one another. Finally tape off the whole thing . Tuck away any excess wire length Up inside the liner of your helmet..

This set up alllows me to run the camera from S mode A mode, P mode and M mode...:)In auto mode I found if the flash fires,,it won't let the shutter fire again...[:/]>:(
There MAY be other connections that work.. but I'm Ok shooting in the modes mentioned.. I hope to buy my flash attachment this spring and I hope this wiring set up will work OK with it....:|[:/].. we'll see.....
You'll need the MC-DC1 switch,, about 35 $ US and the conceptus switch of your choice.
here are some sample pics..

good luck. jimmytavino

Hi Jimmy,
Thanks so much for your reply! I have a Conceptus bite switch that I will attach. I am just heading out the door to pick up the MC-DC1 switch and I will give it a try tonight. I will let you know how it goes.
Cheers,Quinny.

hello Jummy or anyone who knows the answer,

I followed your instructions to attach the mc-dc1 nikon cable with a conceptus tongue switch for my d70s and it works fine in AF mode, but as soon as I try to use manual focus (by switching to M on the outside or by chosing AF-C on the menu) it starts taking pictures continously as long as the remote is connected.

can you help me change my wiring to a manual focus mode? thank you

coca

we followed a 'hit or miss, trial and error' approach when figuring out a workable connection.. and found it worked in some modes and not others:|... maybe a different connection sequence will have different results...

My jumping has been limited a little and so I haven't made as many jumps with the Nikon as i would have liked... I got a second remote. ( MC DC1 ) and lengthened the wire by about 2 feet and added a plastic. 'molex' quick connect....It takes some patience, some soldering and assembly, but is worth the effort. I found the connector at radio Shack... it's a 5 conductor wire i think, and so I used a 6 way connector...
I run the switch pendant down my sleeve, and fire the stock remote from my hand... The molex lets me disconnect the helmet from the sleeve wire, and tucks away into my jumpsuit, prior to climbout... ( allow some extra slack in the wire to ensure there's never tension between one end of the wire and the other...)

jt
a 3914
d12122

I made a switch for one dude for his D80. If the D70s uses the same kind of remote here's the wireing solution:
Black wire is the ground, Green is the AF and exposure, White is the shutter. Based on this what you ned to do is you connect your two pole switch to the 3 wires the way Green and White together and Black onto the other prong. This way you'll get a result if you were raming the shutter button without pressing half way down. It should work. I'm not a Nikon guy so I can't tell wich AF setting will work the best, so I would figure that out on the ground...
But the guy who uses that D80 pretty much clueless about photography and still gets relatively good results.
-Laszlo-