dvdcoon

FF2 Owners...Please Check In.

I finally received mine. The helmet fits my head very well, but not my camera. I have a HC42 which I had 2kcomposites make the helmet for. So my questions for you guys starts here.

What cameras did you have your helmet made for and did they fit well? I've played around with the position of the bracket. When I try to close the camera housing "door", it's rubbing on the battery and also the front of the camera and lens...knocking my camera around too. It's driving me crazy.

Have any of you had to shave down sections of the camera housing to make more clearance for your cameras? Have you modified it in any way? If so would reply in detail please?

What cameras did you have your helmet made for and did they fit well?

I've received FF2's for just about every sony camera, and nearly all have all fit perfectly.

I've played around with the position of the bracket. When I try to close the camera housing "door", it's rubbing on the battery and also the front of the camera and lens...knocking my camera around too. It's driving me crazy.

Which battery do you have? I do know the largest batteries will not fit under the shell, but the small and medium sized ones should fit fine.

Also are you sure you have adjusted your plate properly? You should be able to slide it forward and backward to fit the camera so it's not rubbing.

Have any of you had to shave down sections of the camera housing to make more clearance for your cameras? Have you modified it in any way? If so would reply in detail please?

I did have two FF2's come in, both for pc1000's, that the measurements were slightly off for...just had to lengthen the slots to drop the mounting plate about a centimeter and that fixed both. Alerted 2K and the rest were fine.
Hope this helps...
Miami

I have the standard battery. I've adjusted plate in different positions, but my camera is about a .5 inch too long. The door will close fine; however, when the foam presses against the camera...it shifts the camera out of line. I don't have enough clearance on the inside or the box either.

So if each helmet is built to a specific camera, that means you need to buy a new helmet when you change/upgrade your camera?

Couple this with the fact that Sony changes their product lineup constantly (so if your camera breaks in 2 years you probably won't be able to buy it, new, again), and you have one of the reasons I did not get an FF2. A very nice looking helmet, but this is the major disadvantage, in my mind.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

So if each helmet is built to a specific camera, that means you need to buy a new helmet when you change/upgrade your camera?

I'm pretty sure thats not the case....the shell and L bracket are the same ....there is a small amount of 'padding' attached to the inside of the shell which is 'camera specific'.......changing this small amount of padding to a greater or lesser thickness to accomodate different camera models is as easy as taking off the old one and glueing in a suitable replacement.....pretty simple really.

I have a FF2, Sony PC109 and Royal lenses......it all fits fine and no mods have had to be made to the helmet......
My helmet could easily accomodate a smaller or larger cam with a change of the padding on the inside of the camera box shell.....

Not necessarily...I've had one customer so far put 9 different pc style cameras in his FF2 built for a pc109. What is custom to each box is the location of the plate, the foam to reduce camera shake, and the rear cutout to access the buttons. I've seen plenty of people use a camera other than the one they had their helmet built for without problems. You may, however, run into problems trying to put a pc style camera in a helmet for an hc, or vice versa.
Miami

...and you have one of the reasons I did not get an FF2. A very nice looking helmet, but this is the major disadvantage, in my mind.

It's not as restricting as you might think.;)

Just for my own personal research, what other reasons kept you from getting an FF2?
Thanks!
Miami

Hmm...hard to tell from the description. Does it seem like something that a reduction in the foam would fix?

No. I'm trying to position the camera so that the lens is centered in the camera lens hole...naturally. The right side of the camera is contacting a section inside the camera housing causing the camera to be shifted off to the left slightly. This is only 1 of the 2 problems.

The sides of the "box" as it closes, contacts both the battery(back) and the mic area(front)...and also contact my Sony lens. I don't think I could even fit a Diamond/Stealth with the way this is looking. The box is still able to close around the camera, but I'm forcing the box around it.

The box is still able to close around the camera, but I'm forcing the box around it.

Can you take some pics and post here...?
Even if you have only got the camcorder....takes some footage pointing it into a mirror and get a couple of screen grabs to show us here

I've had an FF2 made for my PC109 and ive got to say it fits perfectly apart from the front rubbing on the Kenko lens when you close the door!!
I tried my friends HC42 in the box and it seemed to fit ok too!!

However i was wondering before i bought the helmet what would happen when i changed camera model, and i found out that the main difference is the size of the foam pad used. I did think about the option of removing the door at its rivets if the worst happened and a future camera didn't fit.
This would just create an open, flat-side-mount helmet i think.

Hope you get it sorted ;)

Blues

"swooper 24/7, 365!"
ME on Myspace
My Project playlist

The box is still able to close around the camera, but I'm forcing the box around it.

Can you take some pics and post here...?
Even if you have only got the camcorder....takes some footage pointing it into a mirror and get a couple of screen grabs to show us here

Here are a couple pics. What I am pointing at in the first pic is a section of the housing that's sticking out and shifting my camera to the left. The other pic just shows the side of the box. Each side contacts my camera when I close it. I have maneuvered the camera in all directions to try for a better fit. It still lacks clearance.
I was thinking of using a dremel to shave/file down these areas to make more clearance for my HC42. That's why I had originally posted because I thought others may have had to do the same. Fortunately for you guys, everybodys seem to fit fine. Maybe it's just a problem with the HC line. I ordered the helmet directly from 2kcomposites so I'll contact them and see what to do.

Maybe a silly question, but did you remove the cameras hand-strap?
I've seen people get a tight fit when they kept the camera-strap attached to it, and tried to fit it in there as well?

Mine fit like a glove..(I have a brand new FF2, only 3 months old) both the camera and lensare in there just tight anough to keep them from moving :)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Mine was built for a PC350, but I now have a PC1000 in it, had to change the padding a bit, but other than that it seems to be ok.

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Should you remove the hand strap?

I already removed the hand strap first thing. I've contacted 2kComposites and apparently a FF2 has not been made for a HC42 before. The design is off the HC40. I'm not sure how much different the cameras are, but enough I guess because mine didn't fit as they and me thought it should. I've sent them more pics and I'm still waiting on them to instruct me what to. Thanks for all the replys, FF2 owners.

Should you remove the hand strap?

I've chopped the straps on both my PC350 and PC1000... Kind of annoying how they make the straps detachable on one end and you have to cut the other :S

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

I soke to Steve today and he says that i should hapve my FFX in about 3 weeks, five weeks from ordering. So you might have yours quicker Mostly Harmless.

Must be nice! Mine was 3 months in getting here, however, that was also during the height of the Christmas pre rate increase. It seemed like forever.

Everything fit just fine when it got here as far as the camera goes. What a great helmet.

Have Rig will travel ...