RandomLemming

How to Finalize a DVD ?

Hi all,

I know this is a little off topic, but it is kinda skydiving related, so please bear with me :D

I have a DVD with my 2 AFF jumps on it. We didn't finalize the DVD before I left the DZ, as we were continually hoping to get some more jumps in.

Now I'm home in the UK, and I need to get this video off to send to someone, but I can't seem to finalize it.

The DVD was recorded in a Sony DVD recorder. The media is DVD+R.

I've tried my powermac and my Linux box. They both note that the DVD is appendable, but nothing will let me get at the data.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could resolve this ?

Thanks in advance!

Well, I haven't tried this yet but I'm sure you could use one of the popular DVD-ripping programs to extract the MPEG2 data stream from the VOB file, decode it, and write it to your hard drive. Then you can then transcode it and rewrite it to another DVD or encode and compress it with DivX or your favorite codec and burn it to CD instead.

edit: also if you write another session to it, the previous session data should be imported into the newly written track list IIRC. I've never tried it, but it _might_ work.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

A video DVD that was made on a pc is totally different from a video DVD that was made on a standalone dvd recorder. Some software WILL let you work with the same file system as the standalone burners use, however because of the different makes and models and stuff this doesn't always work. It's worth a try though IMO. You need a program that can edit DVD-Video (VR), f.i. Nero can do it (Nero Vision 4).

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Well...
Let´s try some things here:

1) if u can copy the DVD to the computer, try to reencode and mount the DVD, but remember that mpeg2 compression is destructive, so if this works your image will be worse than the one in the DVD;

2) if the DVD wasn't closed, this means that the datas like headers, b-trees and others aren´t recorded in the disc, so the computer can't see them. You have one option.
Try some unerase software. This software will recover the 'lost' datas, this means, your files, or at least some of them.

Good Luck