pyke

please tell me...

that someone else has experienced EVERY POSSIBLE CAMERA DISASTER IMAGINABLE...

...IN ONE WEEK...

and lived to tell about it. Please...for the love of F###ING GOD tell me that I will see the other end of this and be better for it.

I swear if ONE MORE THING happens in relation to my video efforts...I'm throwing my F###ING helmet out the door at 13,000.

I am simply baffled by the fact that in the span of 3 days...if you can name the DISASTER...I've had it.

WTF is the point...>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Kiwi, RB #926, AFF-I, FAA Snr. Rigger, RN/BSN/Paramedic

No... but I did have to replace the engine in my car last fall... :P

I had to replace the transmission

Pyke How many video jumps do you have? Look brother, its a slow process and shit happens, everthing from the camera being zoomed in, the battery dying just before exit or the damn tape running out just as you turn it on while in the door,IF you remembered to turn the damn thing on at all. then there is the mals that involve the still camera, like the bite switch taking a shit, the camera being on the wrong settings, forgeting to turn the damn thing on at all. Or then theres the skydive its self, (human meat bombs, the flavor of the drogue, sinking out on the tandem with the 95 pound passenger.

Shit happens, and just when you think you are prepared for anything, new shit happens. It gets better though. The first time you see your photos in a magazine, the video that is just bad ass perfect. Having someone walk up to you and say dude I saw this picture you took, it rocked. Its all about loving the "art" of the work. Its never going to make us rich, hell, for most of us its never going to pay the bills but in the end, its worth every bit of what it cost. Hang in there, you've got the love of the art, the rest will follow.

Im going to finish my beer now before it gets warm....

don't tell me you also had that superb sunset jump, and once on the videostep you remembered you didnt press the REC button so you do it then,... and when you check your footage you see camera was running and you just turned it off :|
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Thanks Chuck...that helps put it in perspective!!

After all that happened this past weekend...I came home last night to discover that my dog had eaten the ONLY rolls of film that DID survive this weekend. I guess I should be comforted...

No evidence of this weekend...therefore, no memories!!

Moving forward...

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Kiwi, RB #926, AFF-I, FAA Snr. Rigger, RN/BSN/Paramedic

came home last night to discover that my dog had eaten the ONLY rolls of film that DID survive this weekend. I guess I should be comforted...

Sounds like your dog is trying to tell you to go digital.
Got a new puppy who found a disk I just burned and chewed it all to hell, but good thing I had the files still.
Yes you will have those days or weekends where it just won't go your way, sometimes it is best to just put your steup down and walk away and worrie about fixing it durring the week, cuz your can get in a hurry trying to fix things and just make it worse, if you get in a rush you set yourself up for more fuck ups.
But it will get better.

attachment is my 10d that went in from 3.5k
we all have bad daysB|

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

attachment is my 10d that went in from 3.5k
we all have bad daysB|

If you don't mind my asking that looks like a stroboframe mount, Is it?

and I'm sure you've answered it but how did it fall off?

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Due to the size of the video camera I was using at the time the unlock slide hung over the side of the FTP plate when locked but under the body of the 10d, it was hit by a riser during a very uneven deployment, this opened it just enough to let go of the still.

I was using someones rig, I broke my own rule of never using borrowed gear and being rushed, for 1.
When the bag came off my back and it stood me upright I had lines tight on the left side and all slack on the right, just as I was thinking oh shit cutway bam right side got tight and canopy opened right riser hit the latch when it went tight.

Lesson learned, if you think it can happen, it can happen, it's just a matter of time.
I would say the newer gold members are better due to the release design, I have had strobo's stick in the open position and have to be checked to make sure it locked, however with the way I had it set up it still would have got knocked off.
I set it up knowing I could lose it if it got a snag, had it been a normal deployment it wouldn't have been lost, but not every jump will be normal, plan for the worst, hope for the best.
Yes I got away with it for a long time, at least all I lost was a camera and not my life as planed for.

Things to keep in mind.
1.Make your set up so things will break off if snaged like your eye sight and even your cameras.

2. Never get rushed to meet a plane.
3. Don't jump borrowed gear.
4. pack your own rig, you only have yourself to blame
should it not work,hard openings ect.(camera set up's can be heavy)

5. Don't take chances your not willing to pay for or die for.

6.Never jump a camera helmet without a cutway system

7. seek out more experienced camera flyers for advice before jumping your helmet.

8.stay out of the no fly zone during any camera jump no matter what.

9.learn to fly your body first not your camera.
10.Never stop learning.

Just to name a few.

~

1.Make your set up so things will break off if snagged like your eye sight and even your cameras.

I have a video and a still mounted on a FT Pro with Manfrotto quick releases. No part of either camera or release is within an inch of the edge of the top plate. The thought was that even if a riser slid along the side of my helmet, it wouldn't snag anything.

If shit happens, I'll have to dump the entire helmet because the only way those cameras are coming off is if their mounting holes rip out of them.

So my question is how do you mount things so that they will break off if they are snagged yet keep them safe the other 99.999% of the time?

Shane

the only way those cameras are coming off is if their mounting holes rip out of them.

That was my point, in a way, let the mounting screw rip out and lose the camera instead of snaping your neck.
I avoid putting granny straps on my cameras, you know you see people put two or more of them on there like "mini risers".

What would be better is to have safety cable so the camera breaks free but don't bounce like mine did, I was thinking about doing that, but hadn't done it cuz one thing came to mind, now you have a camera flapping around attached by the cable and is still a snag point.
I would rather replace a camera then a whole set up, unless I had to ditch the whole thing to save my ass.

~