bastichu

how many jumps do i need to do video?

Advice.

If someone is a heads up type it's usually not a problem in the 100 jump range. The real concern is would they be ready to handle say... a cut away entanglement with the camera as opposed to just a cut away.

I started with a camera with just over a hundred jumps too. Just be sure you know what can really go wrong and what to do if it does happen.

Those who do, can't explain. Those who don't, can't understand.

This is America, land of the free.;) Each DZ probably has its own standards. It would depend on a few other factors as well. What are you filming? Your own jumps? Other experienced jumpers? Tandems? AFFs?

Most tandem masters I know don't want you flying near them until you meet the suggested 500 jumps to jump with tandems.

The USPA recommends 200 jumps to fly a camera in general.

steveOrino

This is America, land of the free.;) Each DZ probably has its own standards. It would depend on a few other factors as well. What are you filming? Your own jumps? Other experienced jumpers? Tandems? AFFs?

Most tandem masters I know don't want you flying near them until you meet the suggested 500 jumps to jump with tandems.

The USPA recommends 200 jumps to fly a camera in general.

In general I´m filming my own jumps no matter if
they are with or without other jumpers.But I would never take the risk of filming tandems without enough experience. What i like to do is filming my jumps and collecting nice clips so that I`m able to produce short video clips that show the best stuff with amazing music in the background.

http://www.ziehleine.de

yeah I started jumping my camera at 80 jumps and I started for just the reason you are; to film your own jumps. I thought it would have been no big deal, just get whatcha get whatcha get type thing. its not. Its a lot more complicated, I don't know how to explain it. So if your a pretty heads up skydiver and conservative you should have no problem
Na' Cho' Cheese

yeah I started jumping my camera at 80 jumps and I started for just the reason you are; to film your own jumps. I thought it would have been no big deal, just get whatcha get whatcha get type thing. its not. Its a lot more complicated, I don't know how to explain it. So if your a pretty heads up skydiver and conservative you should have no problem

I hope so :)

well if youre are asking about the USPA suggested number, I believe its 100.

most tandem instructors will not allow you to film them if you do not have at least 500 jumps.
this is not b/c they are dickhead, it's because most of the ratings can be revoked by the manufacturer if they find out.

that said. if you are some well versed flyer who has extrodinary skills at a lower number, many of them will aloow you to film them, HOWEVER, you may have a problem since you'll be at a new dropzone.

as far as fun jumping MY PERSONAL number has nothing to do with numbers. it has more to do with experience, maturity and ability.

I started at around 350 jumps, simply b/c I could not afford it before than. I prefered to learn how fly my body first THEN add a camera. if you can't stay close and relative with someone than your just wasting your film.
My photos

My Videos

thanks for telling me your opinion. i also believe that it is possible to achieve skills and experiences within a lower number of jumps if you take every single jump to improve certain skills or to learn or try something new. some of my friends that startet their education at the same time have done numerous jumps (actually as much as i did) and still stay at the same level - because they did not try anything new or asked experineced skydiver to teach them sitflying or rw skills or something like that.

sebastian

Most DZ's don't really question someone with a camera on their helmet.

To do tandem video's, most places require 500 to get into the tandem rotation. If the dz is hurting for videographers, the number may be more flexible.

In regards to what jump numbers should a person have before the put on a camera. I would say at least 100 jumps at a minimum, and that's if they are a heads up, fast learner.

Something to keep in mind, is that as soon as you put a camera on your head, expect your learning curve to level off. People tend to focus less on improving their flying skills, and more on camera skills.

I put a camera on my head at jump 90. I took it off after about 15 jumps, because I noticed a decline in me learning curve. Sure enough, as soon, as I took the camera off, my skills started improving again.

Bottom line, improving your flying skills will improve your camera skills. Improving your camera skills will not improve your flying skills.

Just my 2 cents...

Good luck!
Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

Bottom line, improving your flying skills will improve your camera skills. Improving your camera skills will not improve your flying skills.

I'm not sure I fully agree with this, there are aspects of camera flying (I. E. Flying in or near the burble of a group that can only be developed flying a camera for an RW group...) now having said that it is important to have good RW skills and I make it a point to jump occasionally without my camera on.

in fact most of the skydives I did last weekend were w/o my Camera helmut.

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Flying in or near the burble of a group that can only be developed flying a camera for an RW group.

Personally, I dont consider this a 'skill' that one develops. Ya get in the burble once, and you learn not to fly directly over a group. It really doesn't take 'skill' to learn. Besides, anybody diving to join an 8 way knows not to fly right over the group to get to their slot... doesn't take a camera to figure it out! :)
Being able to side slide is a skill. Leg turns are a skill. Backtracking is a skill.

These skills will make a better camera flyer (guaranteed). Putting a camera on your head will not make you a better skydiver.

Ironically (or not?) these people are usually the ones that try to learn head down before they have a stable sit. Hundreds of jumps later, they still suck at both, and can't figure out why nobody wants to freefly with them... :S:D But hey, they're having fun, and that's what this is about!

Edit to add: I always jump with my camera, but I'm really oblivious to the fact that it's even there. My still camera, on the other hand, I only jump with on tandems or coach jumps, because it's a distraction I just don't want when freeflying.

Jeff

Ironically (or not?) these people are usually the ones that try to learn head down before they have a stable sit. Hundreds of jumps later, they still suck at both, and can't figure out why nobody wants to freefly with them... :S:D But hey, they're having fun, and that's what this is about!

Edit to add: I always jump with my camera, but I'm really oblivious to the fact that it's even there. My still camera, on the other hand, I only jump with on tandems or coach jumps, because it's a distraction I just don't want when freeflying.

But, but... I don't freefly.... :| and when I'm doing 4-way RW a full face is very useful as I occasionally have taken a foot to the face...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

But, but... I don't freefly.... and when I'm doing 4-way RW a full face is very useful as I occasionally have taken a foot to the face...

I wasn't referring to you in anything I've been saying. My only point is just that when people are learning new skills, the fewer distractions the better.

It's just my opinion that putting a camera on before skills are developed, will result in a slower learning curve.

As I said, I think 100 jumps is sufficient experience to jump a camera. People should just be aware that adding something new will likely be a distraction. If all they want to do is fall in their slot watching others. So be it, to each their own. If they want to improve their skills, ditch the camera and get in the mix! :)
Jeff