Kritterchef

Camera? What/which Camera?

I realize at sub 100 i am not very experienced and maybe not enough so to add the complications of a camera, but the draw is still there. For now I primarily want a camera so I can firewire with others and get their footage instead of bartering/conning them into getting me video onto a disc or other medium. Many have said Pc105, and I know only sony, my question is with the unavailability of 105's what is my next best option...or do I just continue to hunt ebay for some housewifes old baby cam? Any help would be great, sorry its such a long post, Peace Kritter outta Hollister

There have been several recient posts asking this exact question and there is a ton of information on the topic of camera flying (for future reference ;)) do a search and see what other poeple have asked...

Try Sony HC for starters and go from there.

I realize at sub 100 i am not very experienced and maybe not enough so to add the complications of a camera,

Take this statement to heart and read the Camera Flyer FAQ before you make a decsion. This post by Phreezone might be a good read too.

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

watch ebay for a while. I got a PC101 NTSC for 226.50 shipped, in almost perfect condition.

Deals are out there.

I personally dont like the 105 with the diffrent video output plug. you always need to carry around yours and hook it up to the TV.

101s are decent, and perfect for throwing out of airplanes when the time is right. I never flew an HC series.. so I cannot comment on that.

good luck

You can a TRV type mini dv cam real cheap on ebay, or even one of those Digital 8 cams that use the inexpensive tapes. Either one will work fine for ground footage and firewire. You could probably even buy a non-Sony camera for that matter. Check with consumer reports to see whats good for non-jumping.

Don't worry about the jump-ability of the camera you'll buy now. By the time you are ready to jump it, who knows what new cameras or camera helmets will be out, and those will be the biggest factors in determining what camera to jump with. For that matter, you may be able to get a smoking deal on todays top camera from ebay by the time you're ready to jump something.