SkyDiveGlamis

Error 99 on Canon Rebel XT?? Please Help!

The lens contacts are dirty. Get a pencil with an eraser on the end, just a regular old pencil with a red rubber eraser. Detach the lens from the camera, hold it so that the lens’ gold contacts are pointing down and lightly erase their exposed surface, cleaning them of any hand oil that might have gotten on them.

Do the same thing with the gold contacts inside the camera body. This is a bit harder but it’s doable: just hold camera so lens opening points down so no gunk falls in. Erase lightly. I used a lens cloth and dabbed at the contacts rather than blow them so as not to blow the erasings inside the camera.

B|

My 10 d did this and they had to replace the shutter.I have heard of a few other people having the same error .I have not heard of cleaning the contacts on the lenses though. Let us know the outcome of this though?

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Manual says 'Error 99 - unidentified (unexpected, unknown) error'. Thus it could be anything from improperly inserted lens to the bent CF card pins. If camera still making any shots, shutter is OK, body does not require any repairs.
Check your lens (in particular, aperture settings). I had that error with older Sigma lens that did not understand any aperture setting except 'wide open'.
There is a simple way to check this out. Set Av mode with F/8 and press the small button near lens release lock (aperture repeater button IIRC). Through the lens glass you should see aperture blades. If that works, check electrics.

What exactly is your camera doing?

is it making any abnormal noises in the lens? Is it failing to write to the CF card? Does it do it in all modes?

what happened when the Err99 came up? where you pressing a praticular button or did it just fail?

I just had an Error99 on my 300D from a stock lens that the appature wouldnt work properly at boot up.

Did you attempt to take a few pictures without the lens in to see if it would work?

If you can rattle off some shots without the lens in- than its a lens issue of some sort. If you can't- it might be body.

Be extrememly careful shoting with no lens(I dont even know if the manufacture recommends that..) because if you get any little bit of dust, debrie, or other camera destroying materal within the camera- you now might definetly have a body problem.

The way I fixed my lens was to blow into the opening of the bottom of the lens as hard as a could. Some how a mechanical motor derailed within the lens and blowing on it realigned everything. That doesnt mean this is your problem- as said before Err99 is a code thrown for every problem but those listed specfically in the maual.

Good luck- I know how much it sucks to have an Err99 on a new toy. I was livid.

The aperture blades in the lens could be sticking - try setting a small aperture (around f/22 should do it) and press the DOF preview button a couple dozen times.

Cleaning the camera and lens contacts wouldn't hurt anything, either.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You didn't mention what lens you're using. Some older lenses don't work with newer cameras, even if they work fine with older cameras.

I had a similar issue with a Sigma 22 and another off-brand lens.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.