Ffly4phun

cutaway systems on camera helmets

Hello....I'm getting ready to order a camera helmet and I was wondering how important a cutaway system is for it? It will probably be an FF2 which is pretty smooth and doesn't really look like it would need one. However one is offered, and I was curious to know if there are any good arguments for spending the extra money for one. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I've heard alot of people talk about lines getting stuck on ringsites. So that would be one issue.
If your not gonna use a ringsite then I don't have an argument for that.:S
On the other hand...I ordered an FF2 with the cutaway and don't intend to use a ringsite. I'll just feel safer.:P

I'm not a true camera flyer or anything. So I could be completely wrong. [:/]

Most of the people I know use the plastic screws to mount the ring site assemblies to the helmet itself. I know the ones I used to mount mine definately will not hold under any load, esp that of a canopy or lines, and are designed to snap off in the event of a snag. I fly a RAWA with a complete Schumacher articulating ring-site setup. No cutaway system currently. I might reevaluate that when I get around to adding a Schumacher top mount quick release.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Cutaway is mandatory in some countries, e.g. in France.

Some DZ's in the UK as well.....
Interestingly.......anybody care to share the last time they heard of a Cam Helmet related malfunction/incident...
I know there have been some big ones in the past.....:( BSBD
But in recent times...?

Think of it this way,how important is a few xtra bucks when your life is on the line?? Better to have it now than wish you had it as your plumeting to earth.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Our camera guy had a close call.
We were doing a linked 3way compressed accordian exit out of a Caravan.
The center guy was doing a head jam so he could pick up grips. Anyway long strory short he popped his rig getting into his slot and when we left his reserve was let loose
The freebag fired straight into the camera guy and wrapped around his camera. A brief stuggle whilst flying on his back finally dislodged the free bag
The video clearly show's the freebag and pilot chute trailing from his head.
A valuable leason learned to all that day. Unfortunatly the same happen to a friend that kill him and sent the Caravan spirialling in.

Do your self a favour.

Cookie
www.cookiecomposites.com

I'm on the market for cutaway system for mine Rawa with sidebox (Sony PC350).

Why?

After incident with me 2 days ago: strike with other canopy - linetwist - low cutaway - entanglement with released canopy - fortunately released helmet and canopy (myself) = under reserve on 50-100 meters.

Any suggestions? Bonehead cutaway system is good? Any live experience?

Sorry for bad english...

I'm on the market for cutaway system for mine Rawa with sidebox (Sony PC350).

Why?

After incident with me 2 days ago: strike with other canopy - linetwist - low cutaway - entanglement with released canopy - fortunately released helmet and canopy (myself) = under reserve on 50-100 meters.

Any suggestions? Bonehead cutaway system is good? Any live experience?

Sorry for bad english...

Rawa makes a cutaway chincup for its helmets. See here:
http://www.chutingstargear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17_18&products_id=156

We have had jumpers install, Cookie's, Bonehead's and SkySystems' cutaway systems as well on Rawa's, but those take a little more work to install.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

Thank you for suggestions!

1. New cutaway chincup is compatible with old-style RAWA (2004-2005 ?, large soft forehead, without place for CamEye on back of helmet).
2. Is it possible to upgrade mine existing old chincup on place ?(i'm in Russia now). So i don't waste time - season is beginning

Thank you for suggestions!

1. New cutaway chincup is compatible with old-style RAWA (2004-2005 ?, large soft forehead, without place for CamEye on back of helmet).
2. Is it possible to upgrade mine existing old chincup on place ?(i'm in Russia now). So i don't waste time - season is beginning

Yes, the cutaway chincup from RAWA is compatible with all Image and Vision helmets. It includes a chincup with a cutaway strap on one side and new ladder straps.

It isn't possible to upgrade an old RAWA chincup with RAWA's cutaway system. But you can use your existing RAWA chincup and install the cutaway mod kits from Bonehead or Skysystems.

Mike
ChutingStar.com