Vaut

Samsung SCX105L

Hi, I am looking for a first camcorder to (mainly) use for skydiving. I recently saw an add for a SAMSUNG SC X105L camcorder. (see picture in annex), whereas the camera itself can stay in your jumpsuit pocket. I furthermore has a shock resistant casing and a memory card (no moving parts memory)
Has anyone tried this thing? If so, what are your experiences?

Thanks a lot.

vaut.

I just lost my Samsung SCX105L on deployment last weekend (sob). A riser caught the corner of my homemade mount and now its gone forever. I used it for the past summer shooting videos of my wife and kids skydiving. I found the remote camera to be a huge pain in the ass and quickly just mounted the tiny camcorder right on the side of my helmet. Yes the video quality was pretty poor but the size of the unit and the fact that it was so easy to get the videos on my computer made it OK. For shooting home movies and low quality jump videos its great. I could record my jumps and then email them to all my relatives and friends allmost as soon as I got home. Mine is now gone however and I won't get another. I'm ready to take my movies to the next level so I'll get a more mainstream freefall video setup.

I have a lot of videos that I could send but by the time I encode them to make the small enough to email the quality is pretty bad. I have posted 6 or seven of them on www.youtube.com just search the word 'Maytown' The ones I posted have been encoded so they also suffer from poor quality. The original files from the camcorder are not so bad. Not as good as a mini DV Sony but not too bad.