Miami

MacBook Pro

Because for $300 more we could have had a bigger display, better processor speed, an extra usb2.0 port, a firewire 800 port, a dual layer 8X dvd burner, and probably some other things I can't think of...

I might consider it mildly depressing, but I do love mine still!
Miami

Because for $300 more we could have had a bigger display, better processor speed, an extra usb2.0 port, a firewire 800 port, a dual layer 8X dvd burner, and probably some other things I can't think of...

I might consider it mildly depressing, but I do love mine still!

I must agree with everything you said, I still love my MacBook, just a shame :( :( :$
As if no one saw it coming though... ;)

Cheers,
Jason.

Just got back from NAB where the 17" was announced. It's a good machine, feels just like the PowerBook of the same size. it's fast as hell, render times in Shake were terrific. If you want a big screen it's a great purchase.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

never be the first kid on the block....

Naaa...I use the hell outa my MacBook Pro and I am more than happy with it. I think we all knew it was coming that there would be improvements on future models...I'll only really get depressed when they fit all those extras into the 15.4" version (I didn't really want a 17" anyway...too big for my plans).;)
Miami

Yeah I got the 15" powerbook cause the 17" was too big.

Now I am torn between getting a 20 iMac or a G5 tower. I would love the room to expand with the G5, but I wouldnt mind saving the money with the iMac, getting the intel chip, and waiting for them to introduce the intel towers.

The preceeding is the only way Apple has complicated my life.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

With rumors of the Universal Binary of Shake being released fairly soon some people think the towers aren't too far off in the future.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

If Shake is just over the horizon, it would've been announced at NAB - if only as a "Shake coming in 3 months!" announcement. I expect Shake to go UB when the towers, servers and Xsan [very 64-bit reliant] do. Perhaps with Shake 5, perhaps sooner.

If Shake is just over the horizon, it would've been announced at NAB - if only as a "Shake coming in 3 months!" announcement. I expect Shake to go UB when the towers, servers and Xsan [very 64-bit reliant] do. Perhaps with Shake 5, perhaps sooner.

Here's what MacRumors reported....looks like someone from Apple was talking about it...

"Macworld.co.uk reports that the Universal version of Shake was discussed at the National Association of Broadcasters conference.
Kirk Paulsen, senior director of pro applications marketing, demonstrated Apple’s high-end digital compositing software running on an Intel Duo Core iMac. This, admitted Paulsen, is not something that could have been done with the PowerPC iMac.

According to Paulsen with these high end applications processors are no longer the bottleneck; instead, hard drives are the bottleneck. Shake 4.1 will natively support Intel Macs and will be shipping in May."

So, I guess we will see whether that is a harbinger of the towers...:)
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I just saw a couple of rumour sites reporting that the Aperture development team has been disbanded. I'd hold off buying that program...even at the new low price...until this is seen to be true or not.
--
Murray

I just saw a couple of rumour sites reporting that the Aperture development team has been disbanded. I'd hold off buying that program...even at the new low price...until this is seen to be true or not.

A couple of recent news articles lead me to believe this isn't true.
--
Murray

Most rumor sites are not trustworthy, unfortunately. Big Mac dorks will agree... just think of the iWalk or iHome as a few examples. The only one I come close to trusting is Think Secret... and I only believe about 75% of what's on there.

Re: Aperture... it's absolutely sub-par when compared to Apple's other Pro apps. That said, it's still a cool app and it has its place. It's also a 1.0 [now 1.1, I suppose]... most 1.0 releases suck anyways. So who knows.

I just ordered a MacBook Pro 17" yesterday! Should be here next week! This will be my first :D Apple computer and I am looking forward to it! B|

"You made my panties wet!" Skymama (Fitz 09)
"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Most rumor sites are not trustworthy, unfortunately. Big Mac dorks will agree... just think of the iWalk or iHome as a few examples. The only one I come close to trusting is Think Secret... and I only believe about 75% of what's on there.

Re: Aperture... it's absolutely sub-par when compared to Apple's other Pro apps. That said, it's still a cool app and it has its place. It's also a 1.0 [now 1.1, I suppose]... most 1.0 releases suck anyways. So who knows.

Here's a review of Aperture 1.1 by Ars Technica. Apple fixed a lot of things this reviewer hated in the 1.0 version. It went from 4/10 to 8/10 in his estimation. Should be a good read for those of you out there that need something like this.
--
Murray

Just thought I would add my 2 cents:

A month ago I bought my first Apple. A 20-inch Intel iMac with 2gb Ram / 500gb HD / 256mb video upgrade / .mac subscription / 3-year protection plan.

And I love it.

I'm hooked on Apple and will soon be buying a laptop to roam the rest of the house/world.

Best decision I ever made...

Bryan

Yes, they are nice. But...the resolution sucks at only 1680 max. Can't do full rez HD on the display. In the broadcast/corporate/event editing world, everyone is complaining about it. Sad that they make such a big deal about FCS realtime HD, but then give us a non-HD capable screen to work with. I'd like to think they didn't do this just to sell more displays.
I have a 15" already, and while it runs most of my Windows apps wonderfully and fast, the lack of resolution makes it exceptionally difficult to work with, particularly for C/C and compositing.

The thing about "HD" screens on laptops [read: PCs that claim as much] is that they use pixel blending. In english, the computer creates a high resolution interface [lets say 1920x1200] and the graphics processor scales it down to the screen's physical resolution [say 1440x900]. So while you're getting the workspace of a high-resolution screen, you're getting a blurry, crappy mess.