Icon134

Which lens

Ok, just to clarify this isn't you're usual question.

I want to buy another lens for my Rebel XT... (I currently have an all around sort of 18-200mm lens)

My problem is that I'm torn between wanting a good Macro (leaning towards the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro )

or getting something that I could use later as part of a digital still setup such as the Canon EF-S 10-20mm zoom or the Sigma 10-20mm.

edited to add that Ideally I want to spend less then $500.

So what do y'all think I should do?

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Hey Scott,

It is an unusual question in the sense that the two lenses you're talking about are completly different. One is a wide angle, the other one is a macro lens.

It's going to depend on what you want to use the lens for. I'm currently waiting on my 100mm and after reading many reviews, I can't wait to start shooting with it. As you said, it's a dedicated macro lens but it can also be used as a proper portrait lens. Its use in skydiving is going to be very limited, in my opinion.

On the other side, the 10-22 mm from canon or the sigma are both used by quite of few jumpers...

All of the lenses you mentioned are really good pieces of glass... the question is what do you intend to do with your new lens ?

take it easy,
P.

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

That sounds about right... I understand the uses of each of these lenses are specific and quite different.

I suppose I could rephrase... if you could only get one of these lenses right now. Which one would you get?

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Well, if it's for skydiving id'say go for the 10-22... (even though there might be better lenses for skydiving)

If not then it depends what sort of shots you want to take... I just bought the 100mm because intend to do quite a lot of macro and a few portraits.
then again a buddy of mine has the 10-22 so hopefully i'll be able to check it out too...

hard to tell you go for this one or the other because i don't know what you want to shoot...

take it easy,

P.

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."