brokky

canon 5d

Arvel, I knew I could count on you to hook a brutha up. Your the greatest man. The 5D is in the mail to you, it should be there in a few days....keep an eye out for it:P
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I just picked up a 5D and was wondering what kind of bite switch you are using and where you got it from?

You will need to buy a Canon cable release for the 5D (same as the one on the 20D, not a standard minijack like on the 350D/rebel) cut it and connect to any standard bite/blow switch.
enjoy the 5D!
wuk??

http://www.brunobrokken.com

http://cgi.ebay.com/Remote-Cord-for-Canon-EOS-10D-20D-5D-1DS-RS-80N3-NEW_W0QQitemZ220067543865QQihZ012QQcategoryZ50489QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Buy this off of eBay, cut the cord off and wire it to your tongue or bite switch
Or just plug a regular bite switch into the remote. (it has a connection on the side that works)

Iwan

Thanks, that looks like it will do the trick. I am surprised Conceptus or any of the others aren't making bite switches for cameras with this connection yet.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

what about the new rebel xti 10.1 mega pixels. I'm going to buy a camera for tandem landings, getting shots of students when they show up, in the plane, etc.

What camera?
Clint MacBeth
Skydive Moab 435 259 JUMP
M.O.A.B. Mother Of All Boogies Sept 19 - 23, 2012

what about the new rebel xti 10.1 mega pixels. I'm going to buy a camera for tandem landings, getting shots of students when they show up, in the plane, etc.

What camera?

I'd say the XTi will do more than enough for that application..

Scott just wants to be like Mike :P (McGowan)
Actually.. if I had the money right now, I'd get a 5D as well..

Scott just wants to be like Mike (McGowan)

Hell, everyone wants to be like Mike. Somehow I don't think having the same camera as Mike is gonna ever put me in his league. When it comes to taking pictures, Mike could use a shadow box and still take better pictures than most of us.;)

BTW: my Sigma 10-20mm works on my 5D nicely so far. But I do see some new glass in my future:)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Now you have the camera, and have a line on the switch.. Can we expect to see pics in the next week or so from that Badd Ass camera! And I mean that with as much jealously as I can muster!!;)

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Well I just spoke with Sonic and he is in Florida right now so Friday is the soonest he can get a switch out to me. I am also looking at some new, smaller glass since I can get the benefit of a full frame now without having to look like a unicorn in heat. Once I try a few lenses out with it you can bet I will get back to you on how its doing;)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Well I just spoke with Sonic and he is in Florida right now so Friday is the soonest he can get a switch out to me. I am also looking at some new, smaller glass since I can get the benefit of a full frame now without having to look like a unicorn in heat. Once I try a few lenses out with it you can bet I will get back to you on how its doing;)

The Canon 28mm F2.8 is THA ticket buddy.. I can't wait to get my own 5D and I can start shooting that glass again..
It still is my all time favorite skydiving lens..

I'm looking at the Canon 15, 20 and 24mm lenses as possibles for use right now. All of them do very well on the 5D based on what others using it have said. So it really boils down to how the lens works and if it gives me a suffcient WA view in my application.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I'm looking at the Canon 15, 20 and 24mm lenses as possibles for use right now. All of them do very well on the 5D based on what others using it have said. So it really boils down to how the lens works and if it gives me a suffcient WA view in my application.

Of course this all depends on what kind of shots you are looking for, but I personally wouldn't go wider than 24, and as I said.. my favorite before going digital was my 28mm.

The Sigma 15mm is so popular in digital skydiving photography cause 15x1.6 comes out to be the 35mm equivalent of 24mm.

Just a thought..
If you are going for the 15mm, you will get all the fisheye effect and you are going to have to be really really close to your subjects to fill the frame (if that's even what you want of course)

Again.. it all comes down to what shots you are looking for... my vote would be between the 24 and the 28

holy smokes, that's nice! I was talkin with a buddy from spaceland about the 5D, nice to see some real shots from one.

I just made the jump to a 30D from my Nikon D70 for my entourage and concert stuff, and heard some interesting things about freefall photo gear. Seems more than just a few people think the Canon pro/semi-pro bodies take the temp and vibrations better than Nikon digital kit. Anyone share the same opinion?

Do you find you have to be relatively close to your subject when using the 15mm? My concern is that subjects that are say anywhere from 6-15 feet from the camera are going to look further away than normal due to the WA lens.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Do you find you have to be relatively close to your subject when using the 15mm? My concern is that subjects that are say anywhere from 6-15 feet from the camera are going to look further away than normal due to the WA lens.

thats exactly the case Lou. The wider the lens the closer you have to be.

thats exactly the case Lou. The wider the lens the closer you have to be.

Yeah I got that part a long time ago when learning to shoot video. My question, more specifically is what is his(laszlo's) thoughts/experiences on the distances mentioned when using a full frame sensor (5d) and the 15mm. If the lens is only appropriate say from 1-5 feet from the subject(s) then its more suited to tandems or small groups that you can stay relatively tight with. At what point/distance using the 15mm on the 5D does the subject(s) start to become that little spec in the sky?
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

holy smokes, that's nice! I was talkin with a buddy from spaceland about the 5D, nice to see some real shots from one.

I just made the jump to a 30D from my Nikon D70 for my entourage and concert stuff, and heard some interesting things about freefall photo gear. Seems more than just a few people think the Canon pro/semi-pro bodies take the temp and vibrations better than Nikon digital kit. Anyone share the same opinion?

Huh? Nope.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Yeah I got that part a long time ago when learning to shoot video. My question, more specifically is what is his(laszlo's) thoughts/experiences on the distances mentioned when using a full frame sensor (5d) and the 15mm. If the lens is only appropriate say from 1-5 feet from the subject(s) then its more suited to tandems or small groups that you can stay relatively tight with. At what point/distance using the 15mm on the 5D does the subject(s) start to become that little spec in the sky?

You ´ll have to stay reasonably close,but even at bigger distances the quality is not bad.
Attached is a picture of a "bigger" group , taken with the 5D and canon 15mm,with a detailed part of the same picture.
Enjoy your camera!!
wuk??

http://www.brunobrokken.com