brokky

canon 5d

Thanks. It looks like the 15mm is going to be too wide for my use. I am thinking a Canon 24 or 28mm lens may do the trick for me with the distances I normally shoot at. Just from playing around with it on the ground, I am really impressed with what the 5D can do...but you do need good glass, that is very apparent.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

very close. Normally I practice on the ground to figure out the distance from the planned skydive.
And lot of the cases I just use my 24mm or longer...
The other big advantage of the full frame is for any given focal lenght and f stop you'll get more depth of field (1.6 more than the other DSLRs). This means you can use manual focus lot easier.
-Laszlo-

"The other big advantage of the full frame is for any given focal lenght and f stop you'll get more depth of field (1.6 more than the other DSLRs). This means you can use manual focus lot easier.
-Laszlo-"

I'm getting a bit confused here:S
I thought that a canon 15 has a bigger DoF than say a canon 24 at the same F stop.

Therefore my XT with a 15 mm lens has a a bigger DoF than a 5D with a 24mm lens.

So in effect you would have to fly a similar distance for both set ups (because of the 1.6 crop factor on the XT) but the XT with 15mm set up would give a larger DoF at the same F stop.
I also like the gentle curvature you get with a cropped sensor - it means that your horizons don't have to be perfectly level when the horizon is in the shot!

This is proberly just me misunderstanding basic photography!!

PS Laszlo - love your work mate, particularly the sunset type shots with flash.
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

Just from playing around with it on the ground, I am really impressed with what the 5D can do...but you do need good glass, that is very apparent.

Glass makes or breaks your picture.. like in the "olden days" a good lens on a crappy body will still get you a good picture.. a cheap crappy lens on a professional body will never get you the high quality shot.. just cause the lens is what creates the picture quality..

That's right Gary. The whole point is if I use the 15mm lens on the 5D beside the lot wider view I'll still get more DOF for any given settings.
http://photoinf.com/Tools/Don_Fleming/Depth_Of_Filed_Calculator.html please check this link-it really works...(there's no 5D on the list but they have Ds1 which also has a full frame sensor)
Yes I prefer that curviture on the horizon too, I think it gives a very nice "touch" to the photo.
Thank you very much for the compliment.
-Laszlo-

"The other big advantage of the full frame is for any given focal lenght and f stop you'll get more depth of field (1.6 more than the other DSLRs)."

I have read on Japanese Canon website that the larger sensor (or just larger recording media, like medium and large format) has advantage of giving shallower depth of filed, resulting in nice back ground blur at large aperture. I did not know the opposite was true. Where did you find this information? I don’t know enough optics to understand fully, but I am interested. Like you said this would make manual focusing more forgiving. By the way your published pictures are really good. Are you switching to full frame with 24mm-35mm range lens? You are using 15mm fisheye on APS size sensor right? I do see that in a lot of your pictures. I have another question. Have you tried to use one of those software that correct distortion (defishing)? If you have, how are the results?

Yes the full frame gives me the flexibility to use my 24 or even longer lenses, and of course I get the full 180 degree view with 15mm.
Thank you very much for the compliment about my published photos. So far I had only one (Skydiving Jan 07) taken with 5D. All the rest of them were taken with the 300 and 350D.
The info about the DOF coming from the web site I posted earlier. I gives you a calculation chart about the "hyper focal point". On the full frame camera the range is more (and it worked for me too)
-Laszlo-