gus

Worth paying for a fast compact flash card?

I've been playing with my new 350D on the ground using a bog standard 512 MB Sandisk card that doesn't even say how fast it is but it'll happily shoot off 20+ pics at about 2.5 fps before it starts to slow down. If I go and spend loads of money on one of the new 80X cards will I notice any real difference? I found this thread from a couple of years ago comparing the performance of the 300D/Digital Rebel with different compact flash cards and the conclusion seemed to be that the camera was the limiting factor, not the card.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Yes it's worth it, if you have a dslr. The faster the camera the more you'll notice the speed difference, it should make a difference on a 350d too. The price difference isn't that much and later camera's will surely benefit so why not buy a fast card now. Most dslr's work best with lexar 80x, sandisk ultraII or sandisk extreme cards.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I have an Ultra2 and a cheapie for a 350D... There is definately a difference, I wouldn't use the cheapie, it bogs down after a little while, and the difference in price wasn't that significant. These things are getting updated and obsolete quickly, the Ultra2 will be about the same price as the cheapie from 6 months ago.

But why did you spend $900 on the camera, and then try to save $20 for a crappy card?
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime

Yes it's worth it, if you have a dslr. The faster the camera the more you'll notice the speed difference....

I totally agree.. and even if you dont have a DSLR it is worth it. The cards are not only faster in your camera, but they will also allow you to download your pictures faster.. I hate waiting on the slow cards to finally be all on my harddrive, the UltraII cards are lightning fast..

Iwan

Yes it's worth it, if you have a dslr. The faster the camera the more you'll notice the speed difference....

I totally agree.. and even if you dont have a DSLR it is worth it. The cards are not only faster in your camera, but they will also allow you to download your pictures faster.. I hate waiting on the slow cards to finally be all on my harddrive, the UltraII cards are lightning fast..

Iwan

I agree too, I bought a Digital Rebel XT and used a regular Lexar card at first. I kept on getting errors and when we put that card into other cameras, it would lock up the other cameras too. Since then I have been using Sandisk Extreme and have not had a single problem since then.

Iwan

I agree too, I bought a Digital Rebel XT and used a regular Lexar card at first. I kept on getting errors and when we put that card into other cameras, it would lock up the other cameras too. Since then I have been using Sandisk Extreme and have not had a single problem since then.

A faster card is no guarantee it won't break, we've had an Ultra and an Ultra2 break down (not possible to use in camera or pc, unable to format etc). But these cards have a pretty long warranty so they get replaced for free.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

boy I am either lucky od slow

I have a standard lexor 1gb card and an 80x..1gb card
and I cannot tell any speed differance loading or shooting.
use it in a nikon D-70 and load direct to a computer with 4 gb of ram and its a p-4 3ghs

would think the buffer in the camera would have more efect than the card speed

note

went to Circut City and they have the 80x cards reduced 30% yesterday

thats not an ad for CC just figured you cheep scates would want to save some $$

merry christmas to all
and wish you a safe new year

now go out there and prosper

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com