pkasdorf

Triathlon user's only: what do you prefer, easier packing or more longevity?

Aerodyne has changed the fabric of new Tri's to one that lasts even longer but does not have the same "non-slippery" characteristics. I am quoting Ian Bellis from Aerodyne when he states in a previous thread

"Why then did we do it?

Well the short answer is longevity. The Gelvenor fabric was developed to provide a fabric that was zero porosity but less slipery than others then on the market. While this fabric will maintain these characteristics for more jumps than most people will put on their canopies, the fabric we have switched to will last even longer.

That was the reason for our switch, plain and simple."

This poll poses a theoretical question since the vast majority of us has not packed the new Tri's to evaluate the difference. And, of course, old Tri's are very durable. So, just to evaluate the concept and see what Tri users think, vote so as to give Aerodyne a feedback. I prefer to pack easier but may be most prefer even longer lasting chutes. Just curious!

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

Really, how hard can it be to pack a canopy that's a little more slippery? I don't see what the problem. I would rather have a canopy that doesn't turn into a piece of trash and would like to be able to sell my canopy and be able to say that it will stay in good condition.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I psycho pack. Slippery isn't an issue. Even with a PRO pack, it all comes down to how well you can control your canopy.

If you can finesse a new canopy made with DuPont SolarMax into a small d-bag you can pretty much pack anything.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I would rather have a canopy that doesn't turn into a piece of trash and would like to be able to sell my canopy and be able to say that it will stay in good condition.

Piece of trash and not resaleable in good condition, that's definitely NOT the case with Tri's, the options in the poll should not be considered under that false perspective. Or do you know otherwise?

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

Several people I know have over a 1000 jumps on their Tri's. Diablo's have the same material I have 600+ on mine. When I sent it to get relined I ask Aerodyn how may jumps they were seeing before the canopy need to be retired. Was told they had canopies still in the air with over 2000 jumps on them. Doesn't sound to me like it turns into a piece of trash. Guess it just depends on how you take care of your gear.

FrogLady

Easy. I'm not slamming the Tri but voicing the example of why I said I would rather have to deal with a little more difficulty in packing. Let's say I had it for 5000 jumps and wanted to sell it. I'd rather have a canopy good for resale.

As I said (view my profile to see my (in)experience) "how hard can it be to pack a canopy that's a little more slippery?" I've packed brand new zero-p and it was a bitch but I don't see that it would be that much of a difference for me to have a big opinion about it. It also seems like the fabric is long lasting enough that it wouldn't matter that much the other way either.

PEACE,

Doug, I have practice all weekend. Come out to Orange and lets do an experiment. I'll pack my Alpha in one container and you can pack my FX in the other. We'll see who closes the fastest and is bitching the most.

I know the answer, I just want some free packs.

Webster

Hmm, me racing to finish a pack on your new snot-rag. In related news, there would be a no show this weekend in Louisa as everyone goes to Orange to get your openings on video...this is starting to sound good...

Have fun this weekend.

PEACE,

One of the main reasons I still recommend Tris to people buying their first gear is the ease of packing. Yes, they are also a great all-around canopy.

I usually recommend Tri or Spectre to new buyers, and tell them the advantages and disadvantages of each. Tri has an advantage for people learning to pack.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

One of the main reasons I still recommend Tris to people buying their first gear is the ease of packing. Yes, they are also a great all-around canopy.

I usually recommend Tri or Spectre to new buyers, and tell them the advantages and disadvantages of each. Tri has an advantage for people learning to pack.

Yeap!

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

Be realistic, after 5000 jumps _any_ canopy's resale value is close enough to zero as to make no odds, unless you're selling it as a car cover.

At least out here in California, it seems like you couldn't give away a canopy with 5,000 jumps on it.
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

Sheit, I'm about to give away a canopy with 300 jumps on it.

Edit: Giving it to my college roommate when he's done with AFF unless anyone would like to buy a Paraflite Turbo ZX 185 for $500....negotiable.

Wups, we digress.