freeatlast

Sony HD Camcorder

Virtually all the footage that anyone has seen either on the internet or off a dvd from a high def cam, weather it be HD or HDV, is not nearly the resolution as it is when you plug the camera directly into a good high def TV. Also, all the footage put out from either Perry, myself or Jeff that most anyone has seen has been downgraded from HDV to DV to be able to be firewired to those who have used that video in projects with regular DV footage mixed in. When i upload footage from my camera to my mac it HDV takes alot more room than normal DV, and without a Blueray DVD player/burner you cannnot get high def quality from the computer to any kind of media with the same resolution. The hc1 is a great camera for the size and weight just waiting on more technology to come down in price so anyone can see from our perspective in high def.... the HC3 is missing a few things to make it work well for skydiving applications. unless you want to go the way of Norman Kent with his panasonic and 22lb. helmet, the HC1 is the best resolution bang for your buck. basically, it just means to hang out, and hold on.. much better quality video is around the corner and when you see it on a big quality High Def TV, be ready to pitch your hackey...

Blue Skies

Scotty Burns

www.scottygofast.smugmug.com
Z Flock #11; Muff #1909; PFI #15, USPA Lifer
Commercial Multi-Inst. Airplane/Rotory
www.flyteskool.ws Aerial Photography

Actually, I have footage that Norman shot with the A1 (pro version of the HC1) and with his HVX at the same time. The A1 footage is better, IMO.;) The A1 footage was what went to CNN, ESPN, etc from the Jay Stokes event.

Additionally, you *can* deliver HD on disc, right now. Nero Showtime, QT are available for many DVD player systems, and of course, BD and HD-DVD are delivering right now, except that there are no HD-DVD burners available. I'm burning BD discs with a variety of applications right now, lovin' what I can do.
Additionally, HDV from the camcorder plugged straight to display, is no different than HDV from HDD to display. If you're referring to plugging the component outputs from the camcorder to the display during live preview, that's a very different animal. The signal is uncompressed 4:2:2 from the analog outputs, pre-compression for tape. Unusable except in a studio environment.
In a non-Apple environment, HDV is the same filesize as DV, both are 13Mbps/3.6MBps, or 13GB per hour. Apple converts the footage to the AIC, or Apple Intermediary Codec/Quicktime.
You can download full rez clips, including skydiving and paragliding clips shot in HDV, from our website, or from Sony's website (we shot the Xtreme sports clips found there) and use them with your NLE to test the performance.
To edit/deliver HDV, you need a full resolution monitor that displays either full 720p or 1080p resolutions.
For most skydiving purposes, I don't see what the HC3 is missing, unless you're talking about walkup and after-jump interviews for tandem shooting. The HC3 has a badly designed front end for audio. Outside of that, I love it for it's size, but I jump the A1 for most stuff. We recently shot a spec piece for Verizon Wireless using the A1 and HC3 at same time, and very pleased with the output of both. Bear in mind that the HC1 is discontinued, so if you want one, you'll have to hunt.