freefalle

all black frames on a rebel XT???

One of the guys at my dz just bought a digital rebel XT, it's working great on the ground but when he uses it in the air several of the photos are just all black, the photos that do come out are great but the majority are just all black. Any thoughts as to the cause?

black on the bottom .5 of the photo and yet others were just black.

This sounds like an shutter speed problem. i.e. too much light and the camera isn't able to open and close the shutter fast enough. How fast is the lens? I suppose most important is the slowest speed (f/22 or f/16) What ISO settings for the camera?

hmm...

I hope you figure out what is going wrong.

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

yea it was off, some of the photos came out perfect, others were black on the bottom .5 of the photo and yet others were just black.

I can think of at least one mechanical scenario where this could happen in the air and not on the ground and might actually be related to a different thread here as well.

Is it possible that there is a -slight-, very tiny, amount of moisture in the camera and that, combined with the tempratures at altitude, is causing the shutter to actually freeze and/or stick in its operation?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

causing the shutter to actually freeze and/or stick in its operation?

This is most likey the problem. Maybe not freezing, but sticking. The shutter has two parts, one that leads and one that follows. When part of the frame is black, it indicates that the shutters are not sequencing properly.

This is why when you try to use a flash at too high a shutter speed you get 'bars' of differing exposures across the frame. The shutters are moving too quickly to allow the complete frame to be exposed at once (in sync with the flash). The result is that some of the frame gets the flash, and some does not.

Sounds like you would be able to determine which - temperature vs. wind (etc) is responsible by driving fast and sticking your head out of the window. It would seem like there would have to be a considerable amount of moisture, and for it to cool that quickly, I would imagine a lot of very cold air would have to directly enter places where air doesn't normally...
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime