pkasdorf

Triathlons: does anybody know..........?

..........why they changed the special fabric?

One of the many assets of the Triathlon (may be minor but none the less meaningful) was it's very special ZP0 fabric which allowed quite easy packing even for brand new chutes. They changed it now, so I heard and it is no more as rigger friendly. I can't think of a good reason for it unless there are safety problems involved. Does anybody have a clue?

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

For one, the chemical's used to make it nonslippery are considered toxic in the US. The material was made by Gelvenar Textiles of South Africa. The same fabric is used on all Atairs canopies. Cost per yard was about $9. The stuff from Performance Textiles you can get for $7.50-8 a yard from some places. The Performance Textiles materials are thought to be better, but thats only since there was a bad batch of material that made it into some Tri's years ago that caused them to blow up.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Thank you for answering but you got me confused:

1) Chemicals used were toxic. How come they weren't prohibited in the US? How toxic? Carcinogenic? What are the chemicals?

2) The fabric used on all Atairs canopies is the same minus the nonslippery chemicals?

3) Performance Textiles materials are those used now in the new Tri's?

Thanks again, if you cannot answer all my questions maybe somebody other can. Blue skyes

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

I can't tell you how toxic, I just know that they are considered to be more dangrous then the stuff that Performance Textiles uses.

Atair uses Gelvener fabric (the non slippery stuff). They use the same fabric as the old Tri's had so they have the same feel. I like how easy they pack with this.

Performance Textiles/Dupont makes Soarcoat which is what PD/Icarus/most everyone has used for years. It sounds like Aerodyne has switched to them also.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

......... there was a bad batch of material that made it into some Tri's years ago that caused them to blow up.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

.... first I have heard about that problem.

However I do remember the "mystery bulk problem" that had frustrated packers tearing their hair in the mid-1990s. The problem was traced to one batch of Gelvenor fabric that was plenty strong enough, but packed 30%.

The things I read sometimes...well anyway.

Here is the story from the horse's mouth...did I just call myself a horse?

Fact one, the compounds used by Gelvenor (former Tri material) and Performance Textiles are similar (silicone based) compounds.
There is a slight difference in composition accounting for the tactile qualities, but nothing that makes one more "toxic" than another.

Fact two, the cost of Gelvenor fabric is actually less than most of their competition not more, so we increased our cost to switch fabrics.

Why then did we do it?

Well the short answer is longevity. The Gelvenor fabric was developed to provide a fabric that was zero porosity but less slipery than others then on the market. While this fabric will maintain these characteristics for more jumps than most people will put on their canopies, the fabric we have switched to will last even longer.

That was the reason for our switch, plain and simple. If Gelvenor, Performance Textiles or any other company come up with a superior fabric in some regard, we will test and evaluate it as well. If we find it to offer some measure of improvement we will use it.
We want to use only the best raw materials in all of our products.

Blue skies,
Ian Bellis
President
Aerodyne Research Corporation

Why then did we do it?

Well the short answer is longevity. The Gelvenor fabric was developed to provide a fabric that was zero porosity but less slipery than others then on the market. While this fabric will maintain these characteristics for more jumps than most people will put on their canopies, the fabric we have switched to will last even longer.

That was the reason for our switch, plain and simple.

So the new fabric lasts even longer than the former Tri's but is not less slippery than the other chutes in the market. That's the balance you made at Aerodyne and decided upon. May be you were right, it is difficult to argue not knowing the new product. I can only say that I LOVE the old Tri's fabric and it is difficult for me to imagine how much more lasting the new Tri's should be to compensate for the extra work while packing!

Thank you very much for your answer.

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757