bluewaterstream

Bullet Cam Questions

How significant is the difference between 380 & 480 lines of resolution? Is the quality of 380 extremely poor?

What size lens would you recommend for RW and FF? (2.6mm, 3.6mm, etc.)

Also, does anyone have a video uploaded to skydivingmovies.com that was recorded using a 380 lines of resolution bullet cam?

I use the RF Concepts setup. About 50 BASE jumps on it, 2 skydives. I use the widest lens - 2.8mm. it works well for personal footage, but if you are trying to shoot a person, I would recommend something a little narrower.

as of right now :

PROs :
great low light performance
easy to use - takese me under 5 min to go between hand and helmet mount
lightweight -

CONS
in variable light ( think pointing at a bright lit up grass vs a shodowy part ) you can really see the white balance kick in.
when the battery starts dying - you really feel it, and there really is no warning.
the quality is still lacking a bit ( i have the 480TVL version ) but acceptable to me as I have no desire to strain my neck any further at this time.

hope this helps

don't waste your money for a 380TVL. It's like shooting with a 1MP digital camera- sure the pictures come out fine- but can you make even a decent 4x6 ???

try using a ten battery set up...this will increase your life and the performance of the camera...you can buy the ten battery holders from radio shack or a similar store.

yes, that was something i have been hunting. For the record, RatShack DOES NOT HAVE any 10 AA holders. Digikey does, as do some other places. I don't want to mess with that many rechargables, especially since to save space most of us can only charge 4 at a time. I am looking for a single 12V element that can be recharged with a desktop transformer. RC shops a good place, I have just been lazy ....

i think you will struggle for weight reduction on something like that...i have an 8 berth AA fast charger that will turn flat to fully charged in 35 minutes...when the weather is shit i just charge all the batteries i have (30) and that lasts me a while.
http://www.extreme-on-demand.com

Thanks bro, that's the type of response I was waiting for. Tell me, does this sound like a bunch of bullshit to you?

"420 lines or 480 lines - you think it'll make a difference? we have plenty of both in stock but without professional measurement board you cannot tell by just looking at the screen. As a matter of fact some suppliers will sell 420 lines as 480 lines since it's impossible to tell the difference from Home recording devices."

I also read somewhere that you'll really notice the difference between different lines of resolution ratings when editing video in slow-motion.

I found a Sony Bullet Cam, 420 Lines, 0.5 Lux, for $110. Good deal or a POS?

Thanks bro, that's the type of response I was waiting for. Tell me, does this sound like a bunch of bullshit to you?

"420 lines or 480 lines - you think it'll make a difference? we have plenty of both in stock but without professional measurement board you cannot tell by just looking at the screen. As a matter of fact some suppliers will sell 420 lines as 480 lines since it's impossible to tell the difference from Home recording devices."

I also read somewhere that you'll really notice the difference between different lines of resolution ratings when editing video in slow-motion.

I found a Sony Bullet Cam, 420 Lines, 0.5 Lux, for $110. Good deal or a POS?

I am no expert, but I CAN tell the difference between a video shot with my bulletcam and a stanrd helmetmount ( like a 3 way with me and a different guy filiming a person in the middle ). With good and CONSISTANT lighting it does not seem to be terrible, but like a friend with a few hundred camer jumps said "bulletcams are quite acceptable for personal video, but might be just a step behind in using them for commercial applications where regular cams can be used". Again , i have never jumped a camera helmet in skydiving environment - so I would not be a good person to ask.

.5 Lux is a little on the no as sensetive as I like it side. should work fine when the sun is out - if it gets a bit cloudy you might wish you spent extra money for .1 lux

keep in mind, I am absolutely no expert on this, and I dont have many jumps - there should be people in this forum who have more data and a different opinion.

hope the little that I contribute helps.