adrenalinejunki

Editing software?

[shameless_Apple_plug]

If popularity meant anything worthwhile then Motley crue and poison were the most musically talented band of the 80's. Since we now know they actually suck...in a hooky sort of way, we know that aint true. When I say "King Daddy" I speak to my personal experience, having used every one of the PC based operating systems listed, I find Mac OS X to be the best....in too many areas to list.

There, that's better! ;):PB|:D

[/shameless_Apple_plug]

I am very very new to trying to edit video and still pictures. I also don't have anyone to help me along since I live 2 hours from the DZ. What is a good software program for me to buy and be able to use easily and get decent results?

This was the response i posted to the same question,

The best advice would be to get your hands on what ever software you can to start with, if you have XP then Moviemaker will be on there, if you’re running a Mac then iMovie.

People will tell you to get Final Cut, Premiere, Vegas, Pinnacle, Ulead … the list goes on.. If you have the money then fine go out and by any one of these packages, but understand that it is not the software it’s the editor using it….. And a lot of what is said about these packages is just marketing hype… all these packages are consumer not professional grade, and will all do pretty much the same job….

Now if you are serious and want to make a living out of editing then you need to get to know Avid Xpress Pro, as this is the Industry Standard and without it you are unable to transpose your work upto a conventional motion picture edit environment. ..

WindowsMovieMaker is as basic as it gets when it comes to editing packages, basically designed to be so simple anyone can open it and use it... and is pretty much limited to giving you the ability to cut footage together, add drop a audio track over the top....

What I suggest is download Avid Free DV

This will give you the ability to play around with the audio levels, and the bet bit its free.... its still a basic program but alot better the WMM...

if you want to spend money, then a good place to start is with Uleads Mediastudio, that basic package is VideoStudio $99, this is a marginal step up from the Avid free DV, and to be honest I would not bother. I would spend the extra $300 and get Mediastudio Pro , this will give you everyhting you will need to edit, composite and create DVD's... but is still aimed for the home user and therefore fairly easy to use....

There is no point spending the money on Buying mac and FCP at this stage, especially if you have just purchased a pc..
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

rofl...damn, can't argue with the truth! I'm just to poor to get the apple I need:(

You can get a kickass system for $500 new or less on eBay. You can also go here: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71608/wo/bs1y7Ry55pcR2cvcYHY8RUCDsUM/0.0.15.1.0.8.63.0.0.0.0.0.0.3.1.1.0?100,34

Sure, you can get a $300 PC. You can get a $300 car as well.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I completely agree with Sony Vegas as a quick and very powerful solution for skydive video editing. I've used it since my introduction to the sport (even though i'm not a jumper) and it's ease of use is only overshadowed by a lack of video plugins (Sony keeping it close to it's chest - no 3rd party plugins).

Have a look at the Brit Chicks highlights movie to see what you can do with it.

Cheers.

Tony
Creativity, Inspiration, Imagination, Caffiene.
At least I can rely on one of them.
www.toxicorange.co.uk

Now if you are serious and want to make a living out of editing then you need to get to know Avid Xpress Pro, as this is the Industry Standard and without it you are unable to transpose your work upto a conventional motion picture edit environment. ..

Actually, FCP can move up to conventional motion picture environment by using Cinema Tools, which comes bundled with it.

------------------------

If popularity meant anything worthwhile then Motley crue and poison were the most musically talented band of the 80's. Since we now know they actually suck...in a hooky sort of way, we know that aint true.

Whoa! You're walking on thin ice with comments like that.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

When it comes to editing skydiving footage one important feature I value in software is the ability to do frame-blending/interpoleration/deinterlacing (turning 50 fields p/s into 25 frames p/s) Certain editing programs lack this, and as a result have horrible jerky or blurry slow-motions.

But what surprises me is that everyone comes up with different 'industry standards' while 'the industry' I work in is a collection of about every piece of editing software that's out there.
When I look around me, I see Media100, and about an equal distribution of FCP and Premiere Pro, and then a small group of people using Avid and misc. other packages..

And then there's the home-users group, where Ulead/Pinnacle studio etc. are also used quite a lot..(next to FCP and Premiere)

If someone is 'serious about making a living' with editing etc. he needs to use software he or she can work with...be it windows movie maker, final cut pro, premiere, avid or editing frame by frame in windows paint..

I'd skip on the 'try to be cool and get what everyone else is said to be using' and choose whatever seems workable and simple to you, and then invest your time in learning to edit (and by that I dont mean the Tech issues of editing, but decisions on your actual CONTENT)

Just try a few different packages, and then see what you like...
In the end, nobody can spot what editing package you used (unless you use a ton of weird title effects that come standard with certain packages:P) and the only thing that counts is how well edited your final product is...

as this is the Industry Standard and without it you are unable to transpose your work upto a conventional motion picture edit environment. ..

Working with timecodes and EDLs is supported in most editing packages nowadays. I've worked on several dutch 35mm feature films which where edited on a variaty of editing packages. Mostly depending on what the editor prefered. I've seen FCP, Media100 and Avid used (all without problems) and I'm working on a 35mm short at the moment, editing in Premiere Pro.

The industry-standard is not so 'standard' when I look around...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?