YISkyDive

Newbie(ish) questions.

Hey guys, I have equipment questions in reguardess to a good set up for next season..

Currently, I have 285 jumps, 100 with a camera on my head, and about 15 tandems videoed or mock videoed with a sold 3 out of 4 spec videos.

I currently fly a Sidewinder helmet, PC101 and use a 2.8GHZ PC with DVD burner as an editing platform... not good for a DZ set up.

The helmet and camera are my fathers, the PC is mine, but i want an editing board system. I work full time on a DZ as a coach/ packer/ FJC teacher but for next season id like to get on the video rotation. For realism sake i am looking at what it would cost to get a good system.

What id like to do...

Have a small TV for editing (already have)
have an A/V board- with mixing 2 AV in capabiltity and editing effects
have a decent Camera- I currently Use a 101 thats not mine.. what should i get? I dont understand the new cameras.
My DZ may likely require digital stills next seasons, what digital camera should i investiage? I know about the Rebel.. looking for alternatives
Fianlly helmets.. I dont nor will fly wings for a while.. experince is an issue in my case, though i have 2 hours of tunnel time. I have a camera suit to trian in, but i dont lfly it with tandems. Rawa? lots of people on my DZ fly that helmet without wings, but what other alternatives are there?
Finally what DVD recorder should i get? I want DVD + and DVD - R, but I am having little to no luck finding both platforms in one player. Also what does blueray and other DVD fromats throw into the mix?

Thanks guys, I know this is a bunch... back to editing i go.

dave

have a decent Camera- I currently Use a 101 thats not mine

What's wrong with the 101? After the 101 features on Sony consumer models started to decline.

Not to say that there's anything terribly wrong with the current cameras... but there's certainly nothing wrong with a 101 either... except of course the fact that it's not yours.

Finally what DVD recorder should i get? I want DVD + and DVD - R, but I am having little to no luck finding both platforms in one player.

Where are you looking? I'd be hardpressed to find a DVD burner that doesn't do both formats. They're cheap these days too, I got a Lite-On SOHW 1633 (I think) from NewEgg.com a year ago for $65.

The helmet and camera are my fathers

Sorry for being a grammar nazi, but this statement caught me off guard and made me laugh out loud. :D
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I've been jumping a PC1000 for the past month. Picture quality is great. Alot of people bitch about the controls, and they're right, but once you got the settings the way you want you won't really mess with them. I got a cage for it from www.sprinc.org/order.htm that alleviated any of the issues other. The issues everyone's complained about is enclosed battery, touch screen on opposite side of lanc, battery life. You may not want to side mount it for these reasons. The cage I got lets me pop it right out of the cage and put it in it's charge station, then I can upload from the charge station to my laptop or vcr.

It's expensive though, in the high 900's at B&H Photovideo. I've seen em advertised for 1200 elsewhere for the same camera. It's a 3 chip, you should see the colors.

http://www.SkydiveVids.com

Careful with tht pc-101 I have had 2 of them die on me inside of a month (and no I did not neglect them). If that wasnt bad enough, the following weekend I was borrowing a video camera and using my Rebel Xt and that decides it doesnt want to move the mirror when I take pics. Well there goes almost a grand to get everything fixed.