Vectracide

What flash for digi rebel?

I have never jumped a flash set-up and am considering clearing some real estate on the top of my Illusion. I have no idea what to even look at when it comes to flash and powerpacks (if I even need one). Does anyone here use a flash with the digital rebel?

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

Given that it will be used for fill during the day, you could get away with a powerful manual flash - after all, you know the typical flash to subject distance, and if you are a little farther away, you will just get less fill, and if you are a little closer, you will just get more fill or a balanced exposure (or an overexposed subject, but this would only happen when you were REAL close). Get one capable of tilting and swiveling so that you can mount it at your convenience rather than having to have it fire straight ahead.

550EX suggested above is a great but expensive solution - its capabilities far exceed anything you will use in freefall.

You do not really want an "auto flash" because it will be difficult to mount it so that the sensor can "see" your subject, although many auto flashes also have manual controls, and in any event, any auto flash is going to be cheaper than a 550EX. Just depends who comfortable you are using manual flash and what you want to do.

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

Ok, so that's not so bad on the price and all. You guys had me scared to the $500 level. So, another issue. What kind of connection cable do I need to mount the flash to the side of the camera? And finally, does the flash cycle fast enough with the batteries that are in it, or is a external power supply needed for speed. Keep in mind I am only shooting a Rebel, but if I do indeed get a 20D in the future, would this set-up work well with that also?

Thanks.

I do not know enough about the 300D specifically to answer these questions. I assume it has a sync port - if so, just use a regular sync cable.

A 20D definitely has a sync port.

As for cycle speed, that depends on lots of things, including what you consider "fast enough." Unless you jump with a car battery, no flash is going to cycle fast enough to have fill on every shot the digi rebel is capable of taking during a skydive.

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

I do not know enough about the 300D specifically to answer these questions. I assume it has a sync port - if so, just use a regular sync cable.

I used to shoot with the 550EX on my 300D, there is no sync port, you need to use the Canon Off Camera Shoe Cord.

Regarding keeping up with your camera, the best way to go there is to get a Quantum battery pack, those packs will allow your flash to keep up with your camera, I haven't (personally) seen other battery packs do this.

I use the Canon Transistor Pack E, and it really speeds up the recycle time, but it is still not as fast as the camera. I've seen 550EX's keep up with the 20D when connected to the Quantum Turbo 2x2

It's all about how desperately you need the flash... how many jumps do you have without the flash?
I personally only take it on jumps where I think I am gonna see what I call "money shots" if it's just another fun jump, I don't bring it. I'm getting very good results both with and without flash.
When I use the flash though, it brings out the colors and all that stuff.. It brings the picture more alive.

That transistor pack will just add too much weight to my setup, and real estate for that matter. It would be nice, but too much for just off the get go.

So the 550ex and the shoe cord it is, the only other thing is how to mount the flash. I have looked at every mount on B&H and Adorama, and have yet to see a mount that works for our applications. What are you doing for mounting that allows you to remove it easily for fun jumps?

If I were you I'd get the 560EX now, it should work better with the Digital Rebel. I'll post a pic later of my FTP showing how I've mounted my 550EX. I can't remember who it is but there's someone else that posts here that has his video & still camera mounted on top and the flash mounted on the front on the still camera mount.

Pat

If I were you I'd get the 560EX now, it should work better with the Digital Rebel.

I am not shooting with the Digital Rebel anymore, I upgraded to the 20D earlier this year.

560EX? I've never heard of that one, all I know of is the 580EX.

I am extremely happy with my 550EX and in fact I am looking into getting a second one and build a stills only setup.

Iwan

Sorry, my mistake your right it is the 580EX

So what benefits do I get out of the 580 compared to the 550 in your opinion?
I have been thinking about it, but I can't make up my mind..

I shoot my camera in manual mode almost all the time, same thing with my flash.. I set flash exposure compensation to +1 (configured on the flash) and everything else is manual.

580ex, Very Nice. I like alot of the features on that flash, especially the CMOS size compensation feature and the E-TTL features. Will the CMOS compensation be of any use on the 300D? The E-TTL function is a damn cool feature as well. Is this really worth the extra bucks ($90). It is smaller and lighter than the 550ex as well.

This summer I started using flash almost all of the time. It has been working well for me. Attached is a picture of how I've got the flash attached. It is also on a strobo-frame quick attach plate. And then I use a safety strap. I haven't had any trouble with this set up. I also use the Quantum 2+2 battery pack. I wear a weight vest and clip the battery pack to that and under my wing suit. Works well.

Here's a couple of pictures of my setup, sorry for the poor quality but I was in a hurry this morning and didn't take the time to do it right!

Iwan, if you are shooting everything manually there wouldn't be any advantage for you in my opinion. I have my 550EX set E-TTL & flash compenstation of -1/2 or 2/3rds of an F stop less that than metered exposure to allow for "fill flash", I don't want to overpower or even match the daylight level with the flash.

Pat

I can't remember who it is but there's someone else that posts here that has his video & still camera mounted on top and the flash mounted on the front on the still camera mount.

that would be me.......here is my setup......i use batterys....but still have half the top plate for a bettery pack if i so decide.....which i am leaning toward.

i have since rotated the flash horizonally to avoid the flash occasionally getting in the shots
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas