dmcoco84

Night Vision Video

I need some help finding lens filters for better night vision video. I knew someone that bought a filter like that of a UV filter that he used on his mini dv camcorder and it was fantastic but I forget who it was. I have a pc 105 and need a night lens filter.

Or any other way to better night vision video on a mini dv camera would be great.

Anyone know where I can look? I’m not having any luck.

By definition a filter filters things out right? So if you have too little light in the first place, what would you filter out to improve video?

Doesnt make any sense to me, but I might have missed something..

Only thing that could work is to remove the wide angle lens (steals light) and or replace the original optics. Flooding the subject with infrared light would also work, but a filter is not the way to go..

I knew someone that bought a filter like that of a UV filter that he used on his mini dv camcorder

I think I know what you are talking about. That filter was able to see through peoples clothes when used in conjuction with the night shot feature. It was really popular with the upskirt pervs. I cannot remember the model number of the filter/lens.

What you want is more IR light to be projected onto your subject. Only way to do that is to put more IR light onto the subject using an additional IR light source. If you can invest money in it, Surefire makes a small powerful IR illuminator, the M1 which goes for about $123.00 or you can buy a larger, more powerful Surefire and the IR lens cover but you are looking at around 300.00 for that set up.

I described how to do it the poor mans way a few weeks ago in another thread. If you can't find it let me know.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I have a I.R. Light I am trying to get rid of. It mounts on top of the camera, and projects just I.R. light just like the camera does 100 feet away. P.M. me if you want it, That is almost the only and best way to get better night shots without visible light.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Night shot is useless unless you chop up the box to allow the IR light built into the camera to shine through. A screw on filter will not help either. Your only real options are to put an external IR light on you or to illuminate the area with light (either IR or visable)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Now my question is. Even with this lens, if the nightshot light is blocked by my box, the lens is useless right?

Correct, you need IR light to be projected in front of the camera onto the subject. The camera will only "see" as far as the beam of IR light is projected. Just like at night with a white lens flashlight, you can only see as far as the beam of light goes. A filter will do you no good if your IR light source is covered up.

The filter on that web site is the one that will allow you to see through peoples clothes as it shows on THIS page. It will do nothing to help you see in the dark for base jumping if you have no IR light source coming from the camera or another light source.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Now my question is. Even with this lens, if the nightshot light is blocked by my box, the lens is useless right? Or does the lens work regardless of that?

Dude--you gotta go with LouDiamond's advice. Fuck the IR light on the camera--Just get a LARGE second IR source to wear on the outside of the helmet. Talk to the folks that make the filter. The'll have some good ideas about the light options.
Personally, a friend and I have designed one that's pretty damn cool, but am waiting for the right application to get into the shop.

Think IR flood(s).
pope

They sell these 100 led kits on ebay. I would have bought one but I dont know how in in the hell to solider to a circuit board. Anyways they come out to being like a 3x3 ish square for like $34. There is also filters on ebay that you can cut to fit any light that you already have. I think it is like a 4'' disk of the filter to fit a Q-Beam spot/flood light, or if you want you can cut it smaller to fit like a surefire light.

I have 2 of these if anyone wants one surefire ir filter for flashlight

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,