pompita

Appropriate Course of Action: Bag Lock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=l7WWN58JEes

My reaction here would have been to simply cut-away and get my reserve out. Watching his feet being tickled by the lines as he tried to release his main was disturbing to me as a potential horseshoe malfunction.

Just want to make sure you all agree that this is not the correct and advisable course of action. He should have just cut-away and deployed the reserve, yes?

Check the YouTube comments from the jumper, here's the situation he was facing - he already had a horseshoe going on:

Cameramansuit wing went accross my bag because I pulled my pilot chute over the bottom of the wing. The wing was attached by a zipp so I had to rip it off to save myself.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I can't read his alti after he pulls, but the last look before the pull seems to be at about 1300m (~4200 ft). So let's say he dumps at 1200/(~4000 ft) - he's got some altitude to work with to try to get the horeshoe solved (which he does by ripping the camera wing). He appears to be under a good canopy with plenty of altitude left (just based on the visuals and the length of the canopy ride).

He's very fortunate that worked in this case, because your options once you have a horseshoe generally aren't great. It's the type of malfunction that's best solved by preventing it in the first place.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

[reply
He's very fortunate that worked in this case, because your options once you have a horseshoe generally aren't great. It's the type of malfunction that's best solved by preventing it in the first place.

Skydiver's worst nightmare.
Glad he's OK.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

[reply

Glad he's OK.

sorry...I'm a big N00B, and just reading a ton trying to get into this sport.

don't killl me 4 this Q?...but what is "hoseshoe" in skydiving?
:::Skydive - Preacher :::

~~Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born from above he cannot see the kingdom of God~~ (Jn3:3)

[reply

Glad he's OK.

A horseshoe is when any part of the parachute other than the risers is entangled with the jumper after deployment.
It's all been said before, no sense repeating it here.

[reply

Glad he's OK.

A horseshoe is when any part of the parachute other than the risers is entangled with the jumper after deployment.

Ferrarimv, Sacex has it right.

You list United States. You can learn all about these things by reading the Skydiver's Information Manual (SIM).

You can get a soft copy and/or a hard copy from:
http://www.uspa.org

Take note:
If you have NOT started training yet, you really should call the DZ first and ask to speak with the head instructor and ask about reading ahead of training time. Here's why....

Some schools do not want students reading ahead of time before showing up for training. Some schools prefer it, some require it. Call and ask how your DZ wants to handle that.

Bugger. Just another video which is not available in Germany because some music copyrights might be violated. I do not approve of the way the GEMA (German royalty enforcement agency, so to say) behaves but OTOH I do ask myself why on earth folks who upload a video for others to learn from think it's necessary to dub it with the latest hits? Just venting.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Bugger. Just another video which is not available in Germany because some music copyrights might be violated. I do not approve of the way the GEMA (German royalty enforcement agency, so to say) behaves but OTOH I do ask myself why on earth folks who upload a video for others to learn from think it's necessary to dub it with the latest hits? Just venting.

Three things, IMO...
1. Learning tool was not the objective.
2. "Cool" is, or
3. "No s***, there I was" is.

You can tell what happened from the descriptions already provided. You've seen it before somewhere, by somebody, I'm sure.

I might have seen something similar, but am not sure. As far as I see it he had to rip of one wing because the bridle of his PC got tangled with it?

Anyway, I wanted to express general disapproval of videos intended to show problems (and hopefully solutions) which are dubbed with the latest, coolest or whatever kind of music the poster is in - it's not necessary, a potential distraction and a potential barrier to folks who live in areas with copyright-infringement watchdogs >:( I was just venting, not particularly focussed on this very video.

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

The problem here was the design of the homemade camera wing.. It had a huge ass gaping hole between the armpit and the hip connection points and at pull time the guy somehow managed to get his PC through this hole and so the bridle and the bag got stuck around the wing...

Dunno how to make a better explanation of this but I hope you get the point.. :P

Edit: attached a pic with an added explanation :D

"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean