LivingLegend

Which video editing SW ?

Yeah.....Windows Movie Maker 2...its free !
Combine it with some plug ins from Pixlean.....and its more than capable of putting together a nice easy edit.

How do you burn a dvd then? Moviemaker will only burn to cd?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Start getting into video editing with iMovie. I must assume that you've already passed by that level, so move to Final Cut Express. When you want to upgrade to Final Cut Pro, you'll be able to do so without losing any money in the transition (FCP is 999, FCE is 299, FCE-FCP upgrade is 699... you save a dollar!). There's a reason why the video/film industry is dominated by Macs and why such a remarkable amount of studios [big and small] are switching to Final Cut Pro.

The best thing to get would be the Final Cut Studio, including Motion and DVD Studio Pro. It's a fantastic solution that covers you in all elements of editing and finishing.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

How do you burn a dvd then? Moviemaker will only burn to cd?

Hmm.....I didnt think too hard on that one.
However...save as a DV.avi file and if you have a PC witha DVDR/RW drive........It will have come with some bundled software for DVD creation....

( I know you know this....just explaining it to those who dont and would want a DVD burning solution)

Granted if you wanted MovieMaker to do it all editing and DVD burning ,...it doesnt.....but if you have the hardware necessary for DVD burning chances are you will have 'some' DVD creation software...

A

Not if you want your computer to do 'other things' apart from image manipulation/video editing.
I beleive the range of products /software/ is by far more vast on a PC as compared to a MAC

If it was the other way around there just wouldnt be as many PC's around everywhere.....

I like Mac's really I do......they just dont fit in well with other stuff I have/do on my PC.

Not if you want your computer to do 'other things' apart from image manipulation/video editing.
I beleive the range of products /software/ is by far more vast on a PC as compared to a MAC

If it was the other way around there just wouldnt be as many PC's around everywhere.....

I like Mac's really I do......they just dont fit in well with other stuff I have/do on my PC.

I don't want to turn this into a Mac [it's Mac, not MAC] vs. PC thread -- I really don't -- but Macs get used in all walks of computing. From servers to photography to video to running a business to database management to programming to writing letters in word and checking email... it's all the same. Same documents, same internet, same concepts, same everything... it's just faster, easier and doesn't get viruses or crash.

The reason that there are still so many PCs out there is a mixture of a few things. People are used to PCs, so they buy PCs. People think that "Macs suck" or "Macs can't do what I want" and don't get them. Many people don't even think that Apple makes computers anymore. They don't think that there is even another alternative to Windows. People stick with what is comfortable. The frightening thing is that most people are just used to accepting that they will never understand their computer and that their computer will always be difficult to use and rarely function as it's supposed to.

Apple is the only computer company increasing its market share -- computer sales are up about 400% year-over -- and the only computer company whose sales, profits, stock prices and market share are all rising.

I've never found somebody who was unable to do on a Mac what they do on a PC... the only exception being gaming. It's just that simple.

Anyways, end dorky rant. I don't want to sound like an asshat [I haven't been here long enough to do that]. In the end, it always comes down to the fact that opinions are like assholes: everybody has one and most of them stink. Mine's just right. :P;)

The only thing my iMac wont do that not even every PC can do is play retarded video games that my Xbox would whip any way. I have built in software to make movies, soundtracks, word processing, powerpoint presentations, music, you name it my mac has it...and it has most of it PREINSTALLED!!! I did not have to buy any software for my mac other than upgrade to Tiger...

oh and by the way iMovie rocks to learn on!!!

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

I've never found somebody who was unable to do on a Mac what they do on a PC... the only exception being gaming.

And good 3D software...Lightwave, 3DS Max, Alias Wavefront etc.
I don't mind working on either mac or pc when it comes to graphic work or editing (and do both) but the lack of 3D software for a Mac is what made me go with a pc-laptop (and that one works like a charm on every front)

And unless everything here in holland is way different in the USA, a good PC system will definately cost you way, way less money then a good Mac.

So my choice was quite easy...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I've never found somebody who was unable to do on a Mac what they do on a PC... the only exception being gaming.

And good 3D software...Lightwave, 3DS Max, Alias Wavefront etc.
I don't mind working on either mac or pc when it comes to graphic work or editing (and do both) but the lack of 3D software for a Mac is what made me go with a pc-laptop (and that one works like a charm on every front)

Lightwave and Maya are both available for Mac... and have been for years.

And unless everything here in holland is way different in the USA, a good PC system will definately cost you way, way less money then a good Mac.

Must be different there. You can have a good Mac for $500. What most people forget is that you're not just paying for the computer... you're paying for an unbelievable suite of software that any and every Mac comes with. It's not the throwaway stuff that comes with Windows... it's what makes a Mac a Mac.

***Excuse me whilst I get back to editing on Prem
Pro.....

Excuse me whilst I get back to editing a feature-length studio-funded film... on Final Cut Pro. :P;):)
I'm such a dork.

Excuse me whilst I get back to editing a feature-length studio-funded film... on Final Cut Pro.

I stopped watching those kinda films a while back....my mother said they make you go blind.
;)

Ah, crap :D:D:D I have no worthy response.

Well I guess a Mac must be the best then......
The preference of the world must just be wrong....

Where did I say the Mac was the best????

I just said it rocks for me and does everything I need it to do well...including video and photo editing...

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

I'd support MainActor from MainConcepts.

http://www.mainconcept.com/mainactor_v5.shtml

It a great prog that works under both Windows and Linux. It's cheaper compared top others, but I believe it's easier to use compared to the others when you considerthe time constraint you're under to get the videos out.

If you're linux only (I doubt it), check out cinelerra. many more features, but not as easy to use.

/*
Mike Coles 'bluelip'
*/

Must be. In the US, a comparably equipped PC is almost always more expensive than the Mac, often much more so. Of course, it's tough to find a Mac that is sparsely equipped, which is quite common for PCs, giving the illusion of lower prices even though tons more money must be spent to bring it up to minimal Mac specs.

Must be. In the US, a comparably equipped PC is almost always more expensive than the Mac, often much more so. Of course, it's tough to find a Mac that is sparsely equipped, which is quite common for PCs, giving the illusion of lower prices even though tons more money must be spent to bring it up to minimal Mac specs.

Very true. The thing is, there's no such thing as a "bad Mac" because all Macs are designed and shipped with enough power and software to make somebody happy. Sure, you can find a $200 PC... but who wants one?

Sure, you can find a $200 PC... but who wants one?

I'm more than happy with my custom built $300 PC. It's more than powerful than anything I'll need, including video editing with Premiere.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Sure, you can find a $200 PC... but who wants one?

I'm more than happy with my custom built $300 PC. It's more than powerful than anything I'll need, including video editing with Premiere.

_Am

But if you think of the cost of the software that you put on the machine... the OS, the generic bits of software just to make it do what you want... the cost is higher. When you buy a Mac, you don't just buy a shell of a computer.

Very few people can make a built PeeCee work for themselves. Fewer people have legal access to all of the software that they need to get it up and running. There will always be that tiny percent of people who love to build their own machine from the ground up.