weegegirl

Hard Camera Cases (i.e. Pelican)

I've hauled two Pelican 1650's all over the world, but they're probably not the best choice. The 1650's pretty much max out the airline LxWxH limitations, but they weigh 22-25 lbs empty. That doesn't leave you much, now that most airlines have a 50 lb domestic weight limit (those bastards, it used to be 70 lbs) and a 62" LxWxH limit.

If I were gonna buy a new case, I'd look hard at www.stormcase.com. I work for a gov't subcontractor and we use Pelican and Storm Cases all the time. The Storm cases are far superior, especially the latching mechanisms.

Also, if you want to max out the volume and still make it airline friendly, be sure to get one that is more cube shaped rather than rectangular.

30"x20"x10" = 6000 cubic inches, 60" LxWxH
20"x20"x20" = 8000 cubic inches, 60" LxWxH
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

If you want to go cheap, here's a case that myself and several folks at my dz use -
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=24981-000010203-VGC-5200&category=15&lpage=none&bc=c

The pic on the website doesn't do the case justice. It's got that egg crate foam on the inside of the top (not shown) and the bottom is all tiny foam squares that you can cut to fit your equipment. I use it to store 2 camcorders, tapes, filters, cords, mics, batteries, etc. I would carry it on commercial flights, but don't trust the construction enough to check it when traveling. Works great for me though since I drive to most dz's i hit.

Hmmm...i guess an aluminum case vs. a plastic case might conduct heat a bit differently, but it isn't a topic i've lost any sleep over. The foam in the case cradles the gear, so there is plenty between your gear and the elements. I don't think any case (unless it was some fancy climate-controlled rig) is going to spare your gear from the heat entirely. If my stuff is going to be in the car for awhile, i just try to park in the shade, cover the stuff with a blanket to protect from direct sunlight, and/or crack windows as needed.