virgin-burner

Watching out for newbies [was - hard impact at Nats]

so what would you like to see him do to prove that he can fly his safire?

about 500 jumps on it:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: and if he is planning to do HP landings (which he clearly is)
He should be able to swoop the Safire's ring off BEFORE going to the Kat.
The Katana is NOT a canopy to LEARN HP canopy flight on
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

so what would you like to see him do to prove that he can fly his safire?

about 500 jumps on it:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: and if he is planning to do HP landings (which he clearly is)
He should be able to swoop the Safire's ring off BEFORE going to the Kat.
The Katana is NOT a canopy to LEARN HP canopy flight on

i agree....except for the number part :ph34r:

Honestly, no matter how good of a pilot you are, wingloading counts for most of it (from my experience)..

1.3 (with 10 kg lead) is horrible, yeh I know I need to eat more but this shit doesn't happen over a night..

If the WL is not enough, it won't dive, it will recover instantly, risers will be impossible to hold etc etc..

So in all honesty, these are not the most ideal conditions to progress, only "safe"...

There's a reason why all real HP flight is done over 2.0 WL...
"All limits are self imposed." Icarus

Sangi, what about getting your hands on a slightly smaller Safire ? So you can progressively and "relatively safely" get a higher wingloading ?

and going from Safire129 to KAtana 97 :S Glad you took a step back. :)

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Honestly, no matter how good of a pilot you are, wingloading counts for most of it (from my experience)..

1.3 (with 10 kg lead) is horrible, yeh I know I need to eat more but this shit doesn't happen over a night..

If the WL is not enough, it won't dive, it will recover instantly, risers will be impossible to hold etc etc..

So in all honesty, these are not the most ideal conditions to progress, only "safe"...

There's a reason why all real HP flight is done over 2.0 WL...

Firstly you dont have enough experience to make that comment
Secondly that post demonstrates how LITTLE you actually know about Canopies and Canopy flight.
Thirdly, I dont give a fuck what you fly, just dont fly it near me or people I care about. Killing or maiming yourself wont worry me in the slightest
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Sangi, what about getting your hands on a slightly smaller Safire ? So you can progressively and "relatively safely" get a higher wingloading ?

Meh.. I'm done with switching canopies, it'll have to do for now...

Thirdly, I dont give a fuck what you fly, just dont fly it near me or people I care about. Killing or maiming yourself wont worry me in the slightest

I'm sure my Safire wouldn't be able to glide those 13000 kilometers, so you and your friends should be fine :S
"All limits are self imposed." Icarus

Meh.. I'm done with switching canopies, it'll have to do for now...

I'm sure my Safire wouldn't be able to glide those 13000 kilometers, so you and your friends should be fine :S
i travel a lot and have friends in many countries
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

>If the WL is not enough, it won't dive

Of course it will.

>it will recover instantly

No, it won't. It will recover faster but it will be far from instant.

>risers will be impossible to hold etc etc..

Gotta say that you really don't know what you're talking about here. Get a canopy like a Safire2 129 then jump a Safire2 169. Neither one will be "impossible to hold" (unless you _really_ need work on upper body strength that is)

Safire feels like a truck after the KA..

ONLY because you DONT know how to fly it.

Well. Not true.

1) His canopy chose was fucking stupid

He wasn;t talking performance. He was talking feeling.

When I've gone back to a katana from my velo, it still performs well, however, it definitely FEELS like a sluggish, less responsive wing. I definitely know how to fly both.

By no means is he flying either wing close to performance limits.
Definitely no to the KA, and yes to a lighter loaded Safire.

I could do the opposite to you: I could strap some weights on you, and give you a VC79. You are gonna land and say "Damn, that was fast as shit." It didn't "feel" fast because you might have no idea how to fly it, it felt fast because it felt fast.

Sangi has made some dumb choices, but to rail him on a subjective opinion between two decidedly different wings is a bit of a reach.

Sorry, you are completely wrong. The proper technique can provide solutions to those "problems".... Please do learn. I watched your videos, and my eyes started to bleed, because right now your flying sucks big time.

I watched your videos, and my eyes started to bleed, because right now your flying sucks big time.

I'm sure that at 200 jumps your canopy skills were spotless, not to mention HP landings... ;)
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

I watched your videos, and my eyes started to bleed, because right now your flying sucks big time.

I'm sure that at 200 jumps your canopy skills were spotless, not to mention HP landings... ;)

mine were not, but they were done properly i ended up high a bunch. get some coaching. id go back to 90s. i guarantee you once you get a good 90 down, you will be going alot farther then any of your "270's" using your current method. are you happy with the distance your getting on the 270's? wonder why your not getting distance on them?

My canopy skills were, like today, a work in progress. I changed my canopies and my WL along the way. on each size I put 150/200 jumps, trying different models when possible like Katana 170 or Xfire 169.
I was certainly not doing HP landing, I waited after 500 jumps to try.... after 800 for more than 180, I am a pussy I admit it (but I never hurt or scared me, even in difficult landings outside the DZ....)

Beyond the obvious security reasons, the Katana is a bad canopy to learn on, because it is so ground hungry and the risers are so soft that you will always get some speed, no matter how bad your technique is.
A Crossfire is more demanding and more forgiving at the same time. You could try a 119 that could be a could compromise even if it's already a very aggressive choice (but better aggressive than suicidal).

I think you have some potential, because you haven't killed yourself even with your lousy technique. Try to explore and develop it, you'll have fun along the way and you could even become a very good canopy pilot if you don't let you ego blind and ultimately maim or kill you.

apparently he did.I heard it was a "too low initiation of a 3 figure turn"
I wish he heals well, and that he learns from it.

Now for a little humoristic note : he would have been safer on the Katana, starting from higher :P

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

apparently he did.I heard it was a "too low initiation of a 3 figure turn"
I wish he heals well, and that he learns from it.

Now for a little humoristic note : he would have been safer on the Katana, starting from higher :P

right. and until it's not confirmed, let's keep speculation out of this thread, regarding his injuries, which were "only" a femur, some vertebrae, a punctured lung AND a concussion.. he seems to be alright.

let's wish him a speedy recovery and let's hope for HIS account for details.. ;)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

That is brilliant.....

Very rarely do so many warnings, advice, over pages and pages of transcripts completely get ignored to the extent of the skygod in training, actually really fucking themselves...

Maybe we could cut this thread down a bit and make it a sticky...

Well done sangi, you've done yourself proud....

I'm Glad it was only you, and not an unsuspecting victim as-well.