virgin-burner

Watching out for newbies [was - hard impact at Nats]

i've posted something this morning that i later on deleted; it was about a jumper in this thread with 200ish jumps that got himself a 97 katana two days ago.

not only me, but a few others, some very experienced jumpers, unlike me, expressed our concerns about his choice.

apparently, this post got noticed by someone at his dz (or it was something else maybe!?). this guy delivered a message to said jumper that if that were true he purchased a katana 97, he would not be jumping at his home-DZ with it.

i kinda feel bad about it, i personally DO NOT like ratting out on people, but having watched a lot of videos from said jumper, it was clear he would not be able to handle the katana, not only by his skills, but also with his attitude. all he cares for is "looking cool" and "having it done". he doesnt even enjoy skydiving that much, he cares about being "badass".

i have more details that i wont post publicly, but if anyone is interested, feel free to PM me.

now, please get the flamewar on! :|
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

i've posted something this morning that i later on deleted; it was about a jumper in this thread with 200ish jumps that got himself a 97 katana two days ago.

not only me, but a few others, some very experienced jumpers, unlike me, expressed our concerns about his choice.

apparently, this post got noticed by someone at his dz (or it was something else maybe!?). this guy delivered a message to said jumper that if that were true he purchased a katana 97, he would not be jumping at his home-DZ with it.

i kinda feel bad about it, i personally DO NOT like ratting out on people, but having watched a lot of videos from said jumper, it was clear he would not be able to handle the katana, not only by his skills, but also with his attitude. all he cares for is "looking cool" and "having it done". he doesnt even enjoy skydiving that much, he cares about being "badass".

i have more details that i wont post publicly, but if anyone is interested, feel free to PM me.

now, please get the flamewar on! :|

Thank you for being a rat. You may have saved the guy's life.

So peer monitoring of a would-be canopy crasher seems to have worked just fine here. I hope topdocker (a USPA Director) reads your post. He seems to think this tactic can't work.[:/]
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

! :|

who sold the canopy ?? ?
Does he have a correctly sized rig to put it in now ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

a fellow jumper of his sold him the katana. he got a rig with a 129 safire2 before, on which made around 60 jumps, 100-150 jumps on a ragged out 190 f-111 of some sorts before.

sizing chart says it's too small for his rig, but someone must of assured him "it will work".
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

well, probably lost a "friend". i like the guy, and if he was a bit more consistent with his saf, i wouldnt have said anything, tough, i'd feel much worse then if i didnt and he hooked himself in.

apparently, someone on his dz that KNOWS him in real life thought the same. still hurts to loose a buddy.

pffft, fuck it. if i've saved a life i'll probably never know, and nobody will thank me for it, quite the opposite..

"ratting out" on someone, even for their own good, never turns out "nice" for all involved. :|

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

well, probably lost a "friend". i like the guy, and if he was a bit more consistent with his saf, i wouldnt have said anything, tough, i'd feel much worse then if i didnt and he hooked himself in.

apparently, someone on his dz that KNOWS him in real life thought the same. still hurts to loose a buddy.

pffft, fuck it. if i've saved a life i'll probably never know, and nobody will thank me for it, quite the opposite..

"ratting out" on someone, even for their own good, never turns out "nice" for all involved. :|

Congrats. Thanks. Completeky the right thing.

Good stuff, VB.
But why did you delete the original post?

mainly, after the other guy got the message, he complained about it to me.. so, in a friendships manner, i delted it..

but yea, i still like the guy.. i think i've explained myself enough this far..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Dont worry VB no one really like you anyway so you probably didnt lose a friend!! But good job saving his ass though!!

i know that myself mate, i'm a loner anyway, so fuck everyone that doesnt stand in my line of fire! ;)
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

I think you did is what more people should do. He may not want to be your friend any more but you sure as hell were a good friend to him.

Sparky

true, but.. being on the right side of things, doesnt mean you have the majority on YOUR side.. i still feel i'm on the RIGHT side anyway..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Thanks for doing it. I don't want people going out to rat on anyone for stupid things, but if it has to do with saving myself, my friends, the reputation of my dropzone, then let um have it.

i still consider him MY friend; tough he may think i'm not - anyway, if he kept on doing what he didd, he'd be dead by now. or in another two days..

so yea, fuck it for being "nice and gentle" or having "shattered his trust - out of all places"..

i still think i'll sleep better THIS way.. :|
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Thanks for doing it. I don't want people going out to rat on anyone for stupid things, but if it has to do with saving myself, my friends, the reputation of my dropzone, then let um have it.

i still consider him MY friend; tough he may think i'm not - anyway, if he kept on doing what he didd, he'd be dead by now. or in another two days..

so yea, fuck it for being "nice and gentle" or having "shattered his trust - out of all places"..

i still think i'll sleep better THIS way.. :|

Good for you VB! This attitude needs to spread and maybe we would have less deaths and fractured tib/fibs, pelvis', etc.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

being on the right side of things, doesnt mean you have the majority on YOUR side.

We have too many sheep in the sport already. It doesn’t take any character to run with herd. We don’t always agree but your actions on this say a lot about who you are.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

....We don’t always agree but your actions on this say a lot about who you are.

Sparky

I think maybe somebody hacked his account.
:D:D

:P

:D:D:D

oh, sparky, i take it as a compliment!? :P
:)
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

....We don’t always agree but your actions on this say a lot about who you are.

Sparky

I think maybe somebody hacked his account.
:D:D

:P

:D:D:D

oh, sparky, i take it as a compliment!? :P
:)

You don't have any choice.

Sparky

thanks! :)
i was at the dz today for a little ceremony for some friends that are no longer with us..

got to see a couple not so pretty pictures from a shattered subtular (?) joint? it's all open, the thing is in a bag, and just after three weeks they're now going to plaster it to push the muscle back in. it looked a bit like a sausage on the side of his leg.

if you're gonna be stupid.. you gotta have to have hardened the fuck up already; today was the first day the guy could sit up and get into a wheelchair..

we're talking a guy with over a thousand jumps who should probably have known better!

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Jump numbers do not always equate to experience or common sense. There seems to be a small segment in society that refuses to learn from the past. I think it is a combination of arrogance and ego or they are just fucking stupid. It’s always been that way and probably always will.

Sparky

Jump numbers do not always equate to experience or common sense. There seems to be a small segment in society that refuses to learn from the past. I think it is a combination of arrogance and ego or they are just fucking stupid. It’s always been that way and probably always will.

Sparky

Hi Mike,
'Ya seem to hit the nail square on the head!! Sad but true. Your statement goes right along with your,"You are not now nor will you ever be......"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

VB I applaud your effort, but from what I got said jumper did fly his canopy. He proudly sent me a videostil from a camera he also shouldnt be jumping.
Its a shame people dishonestly ask for a lot of advice just to get attention, and live a life online with dz.com and youtube posts showing how awesome they are for doing stupid shit.
Yet they dont see they are gloryfying their own stupidity and thereby shitting on the good intentions and friendships with people they have been asking for advice (with no intent to follow up on it).

Thank you for waisting my time Sangi. I truly hope you dont lead other jumpers onto the same 'no skills, no patience' road of shortcuts to a fatality you're seemingly proud of taking. Be proud of the gear and low jumpnumbers you listed in your profile (though you cowardly changed it back to a bigger one after reading this thread).

I blocked you on skype. Never dare ask me anything again. I know of better ways to waste my time....and dont want to be part of your immature, impatient, sad attempts at showing of and taking shortcuts with possible lethal concequences...

Id so had hoped for a bit more spine/brains...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

i'm making this shit public now.. fuck it.

Sangi, Rigless, whatever your future new name will be, u're a fucking idiot, u've lost two "mates" over the course of the last three days, i've lost my patience (again), go kill yourself or end up in hospital.. you're never gonna learn. ciao.
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda