MontyPyhton

Which container??? (@ the riggers)

I want to buy a container that is freefly friendly, really rock solid built and has a great longevity.
The container must also be very safe (especially flaps/covers and reserve deployment) and innovative in its features.

My major decisions are:

Mirage G3

Mirage G4

Vector 3 M - (worse built riser covers???)

Voodoo

Atom Legend

Tear Drop Superfly

I don't like the Wings because of its (in my eyes) ugly, FAT look.
Imho the Javelin Odyssee has not a really a innovative design.

The G4 is a refined G3 in the design, its "fancy pants" is a new design though.

The Voodoo has some issues on accepting smaller mains then what it was cut for, they look ugly if you downsize more then a full size.

I have only seen one Legend and I was impressed, but I don't know how innovative they are. The Superfly looks nice, but I've never felt one before.

I'm not sure what you are refering to on the V3's riser covers. The covers are among the most solid I've seen.

I've always thought the opposite was true on the Wings and thought they looked smaller then other containers holding the same size mains.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Well, I think the Vector can come with the Skyhook now. That would be a sales point for me.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Well, I think the Vector can come with the Skyhook now. That would be a sales point for me.

If I ever manage to buy a new container, I will only consider the V3 because of the skyhook. (Or another container that it's an option on by then.)
Skydiving is for cool people only

Personally, I think there is no better value for the dollar than the Infinity by Velocity Sports Equip. It's bullet proof, with great primary and secondary riser protection, superior pin protection and a very comfortable harness...and it actually has a reasonable market price, even with options!

Check out www.velocityrigs.com

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Vector 3 M - (worse built riser covers???)

no, when the V3's first came out (not the micron, the first V3's), they had some problems. but now they have solid riser covers.

now, are they a pain because of the secondary riser covers, can be, but i say that about the infinity, and mirage. i just don't care for the secondary riser covers. but that's just me.

if it where me, out of that pick of rigs, i'd get the G3. very solid rigs.

later

Can you get the Talon FS in Germany? It has a lot of features in common with the Voodoo but is better and as comfortable as the Odyssey.
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

Out of curiosity, what size canopies do you plan on putting in this rig?

PD 190 or Falcon 195 and Speed 170 or Smart 160/175.

@ mikkey: Of course, Talons are available here like all other rigs on the market.

The FS looks pretty good. It's another Vector clone.

Aerodyne brings with the Icon a really good Atom Legend clone. I'm not sure if this would be a good choice.

Dont agree the Talon FS is a Vector clone. Be aware there is a difference between Talons made in the US and Talons made in Australia.
Note the max size for main in the FS is 170 (that is why I have a Talon 3) - I think a couple of other rigs have maximum sizes too (so you might want to check).
Also, be aware that the "looks" of rigs can be quite different depending on canopy sizes, i.e. a rig that looks great with a 120 on board might not look that good with a 190. Depends on how they adjust lenght and width of the system to different sizes. So make sure to look at rigs with larger canopies in them before making a decision.

Dont agree the Talon FS is a Vector clone. Be aware there is a difference between Talons made in the US and Talons made in Australia.

Please tell me more. Which types of Talon FS are available from US and Australia?

BTW, i think a FS would be a great choice.
It seems to be really rock solid built and has better riser covers than the Mirage or Vector.
A 170 container built for Zero-P will surely hold a 190 F111.

"Please tell me more. Which types of Talon FS are available from US and Australia? "

Well, firstly the Talon 3 (which I have and very happy with) has been on the market in Australia for a couple of years and is not being produced or sold in the US. The FS has been on the market in Australia for about a year and I think has not yet been officially launched in the US. The difference is (as far as I know) that the Talon name is owned by Rigging Innovations and the local producer here (Parachute Australia) has a license agreement. The FS (as far as I know) is an Australian design and will be produced in the US by R.I. for the US market. For more information about the Australian Talons go to:
http://www.parachutesaustralia.com/ and for the US ones go to the Rigging Innovations web site: http://www.rigginginnovations.com/
Hope this helps. :)

I currently own a Talon 2, a Vector 1 and a truly ancient Mirage, but if I had the cash to buy a new rig, it would be a Javelin clone, probably a Wings.

Also wenn you would have enough money for a fully loaded Mirage or Vector?
BTW, what do you say about the Talon FS??

@ mikkey: Thank you very much 4 informations :)

I currently own a Talon 2, a Vector 1 and a truly ancient Mirage, but if I had the cash to buy a new rig, it would be a Javelin clone, probably a Wings.

Also wenn you would have enough money for a fully loaded Mirage or Vector?
BTW, what do you say about the Talon FS??

@ mikkey: Thank you very much 4 informations :)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mirage?
I never really liked the Mirage G3, but must admit that it is easier to stuff a reserve into the Mirage G4 d-bag.
Vector?
Vectors have always been near the top of my list, although a bit too busy. Like Wendy said, that Skyhook really swings decisions in favor of Vector 3 Micron.
Talon FS
The Talon FS is much like my Talon 2, just with dozens of minor improvements. I used to be fiercely loyal when I worked at the Talon factory, but now I am just another mercenary snooping around for the best deal.

The tough part is that all of the top half-dozen container manufacturers are damn good. They will all save your butt. Choosing a container comes down to personal taste., so it is like choosing between Diana Krall and Avril Lavigne.

Vector3 all the way. Having jumped the skyhook, I would reccomend it 100%. As far as the riser cover's, they are rock solid, unless you have a rigger pack the reserve that doesn't know what he is doing and puts too much material up top. Also someone said the secondary riser covers are a pain, they are real easy to use, a monkey could do it, and I wouldn't trade the security they offer for anything. I film a lot of 4way and I have never seen a vector flap open in freefall, but I have a lot of footage of other container's with open flap's. Also having dealt with Relative Workshop, their customer service is top notch.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

"@ mikkey: Thank you very much 4 informations"

You are very welcome. You can always buy me a "Koelsch" or "Alt" beer.... hmmmm. Remember these from my early youth when I actually did live not that far away from Cologne :)Which DZ do you jump at?

In regard to this interesting discussion:

- Agree with the point that rigs from all the top 5 producers are very good and that it comes down to personal taste and preference.
- In Australia the Talons are very popular not just because they are good rigs but also because of value for money. They are about 30% cheaper then the US manufactured ones.
- The Talon 3 is a further development of the Talon 2. The Talon FS is very different from the Talon 2 IMO.
- I agree that the Skyhook is a good argument for considering a Vector. I like the concept of the Skyhook a lot. Any chance to be able to get it for other rigs then the Vector at some point? I would probably buy it if it was available for my rig.
Cheers

Voted to other. Sunpath's Javelin. They last and hold up really well. Many of the best Freefliers wear Javelin (Alchemy (current US Champions) and Airzona Freeflight). Comfortable and really secure. High resell value. Oh did I mention comfortable? And as someone that packs reserves, a hellavu lot more rigger friendly.

--
Jonathan Bartlett
D-24876
AFF-I