superstu

post your best shot

Oh I'll catch hell for this one. But that has never stopped me before.

Actually Im convinced now it works very nice with tandems also, since you get the whole picture with the drogue also..

Kinda curious who exactly paid for these shots? You? The tandem Instructor? I hope so, cause you guys are featured more prominently than the student. Look at the photos. Your eyes are drawn to the interaction between the TI and the videot. The student is secondary. I never understood why camera people put themselves in front of the camera except for vanity. Which is fine,...on your own dime.

Oh I'll catch hell for this one. But that has never stopped me before.

Actually Im convinced now it works very nice with tandems also, since you get the whole picture with the drogue also..

Kinda curious who exactly paid for these shots? You? The tandem Instructor? I hope so, cause you guys are featured more prominently than the student. Look at the photos. Your eyes are drawn to the interaction between the TI and the videot. The student is secondary. I never understood why camera people put themselves in front of the camera except for vanity. Which is fine,...on your own dime.

This was a spec, rarely do those who pay for Cessna jumps also pay for video/stills up front, so I use these times to refine some flying and play with new toys, and many times they buy the video after.

Both of those people pictured ended up purchasing the entire video/stills package based on the stills alone, which I showed them on the van ride back to the hangar (LCD screen on the video went out a couple weeks ago [:/]).

BTW. You have any video of those tandem exits you guys do ? Id be intrested to see..

It's more of an atmonauti jump than head-down...

Cessna: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk0FBO5qWCk
Fast forward to 3:20: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H204fIPYuK8
Otter(This video was more about the opening at the end):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ockJjS8SImo
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

I understand what you are saying and I think the basic idea of composing the student as the center of attention is ofcourse very noble.

On the other hand I would much rather have these 8mm pics of my 1st tandem then the average Full_auto_with_kit_lens and staying on the same spot through out the whole dive.

These are much more unique IMO and I do think that the photographer is also part of the dive as much as the TM is. No particular reason to always strictly refrain from appearing in the photo.

I understand what you are saying and I think the basic idea of composing the student as the center of attention is ofcourse very noble.

On the other hand I would much rather have these 8mm pics of my 1st tandem then the average Full_auto_with_kit_lens and staying on the same spot through out the whole dive.

These are much more unique IMO and I do think that the photographer is also part of the dive as much as the TM is. No particular reason to always strictly refrain from appearing in the photo.

+1, and I would like to add that taking into consideration that the average tandem skydive yields ~100 photos (Digital is amazing), it's very easy to include the straight-on, smile, look the same as every other tandem photo crop of shots as well. If there's time and opportunity to include some unique angles as well as artistic license, I think the tandem is getting more than what they paid for!

Just last weekend I filmed a girl that had done 3 previous tandems, and she bought the video/stills afterward because she said the entertainment value of the "unique flying" made it worth it. She said she enjoyed watching the docks and us enjoying ourselves far more than the video guy that parked himself in front of her for 45 seconds.

I acknowledge that this is not always the case, but you can usually feel that out before the jump. Or just plain ask (what i usually do).
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

I agree with the point to "entertain" the student with dockings and playing around. But I also have to agree with Phil. The paying costumer (the TM passenger) should be the main subject of the image.
Please see the examples (these are only 23mm wide though...)
In the shots it's obvious the camera guy is docked (me) and the students are happy while their faces are the main subject not my body parts...

I think this is a valid conversation.

I agree with Lazlo that the student indeed is very well in the center of attention in the photos provided. However, to wuffos it might be very hard to realize what exactly is happening on those photos. Most wuffos couldnt tell this is a tandem skydive unless they were told this first. This also has much importance when considering the composition of the photo and its degree of succes in the eyes of the customer.

IMO the customer wants a photo of him/her being in freefall, not just a photo of his/her face.

Working similar angles, Sigma 15mm

And for lack of it being said yet, I think everybody here is correct. The student should be the center of attention, they should get bonus items second.

I find myself wanting to echo my freelance photography in my skydiving photography. My natural tendency is to want to include the entire story, with emphasis on one point of it. This usually leads to lots of wide angles and panoramas. For example, instead of greating a great photo of a flower, I'd want a great photo of the flower, the ground it was in, and the person watering it... I'd then create the emphasis through DOF.

The 8mm foot-dock photos do that for me... somebody went skydiving, they were attached to one guy, and another guy was filming it (how many whuffo's think the videos are taken from the airplane??). Also, i love including the drogue, because most people also wonder what the hell is attached to the TM and going out of frame...

Besides, if we all shot in the same style, this thread would have been worthless 30 pages ago :P

Very nice!
I looked at your file info , try using iso 100 during the day in the bright light with shutter priority setting of 250 or 320. I think you will like the results better.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Very nice!
I looked at your file info , try using iso 100 during the day in the bright light with shutter priority setting of 250 or 320. I think you will like the results better.

I just started experimenting with ISO speeds, I like it. Did you recommend dropping to ISO 100 to darken up the background. Would a flash have helped Bill_K's picture as well?
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Flash will help most any photo, It brings out detail and color.
As for iso speed i only change iso if i'm loosing light where i need more shutter speed.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Still playing. So who would you guys say is the subject of this picture? The TM or the Student?

Added a second one. I liked it because of my shadow on Rich's helmet. He'd just given me the warning that he was fixing to pull. I was popping up and back and happened to get lucky.

Nice shot, but I hope you backed off a bit to "tell the story" about what is going on... right now its just a cute girl hanging in a harness....

The "popped up" shot is probably THE most dangerous spot to be in EVER with a tandem.. if he signalled that he was about to pull and you flew yourself there and consider yourself lucky....

you should feel lucky.. if he had deployed while you were in that spot, you, the tandem instructor and probably the student would have gotten seriously hurt or worse.... :(

The "popped up" shot is probably THE most dangerous spot to be in EVER with a tandem.. if he signalled that he was about to pull and you flew yourself there and consider yourself lucky....

you should feel lucky.. if he had deployed while you were in that spot, you, the tandem instructor and probably the student would have gotten seriously hurt or worse....

I agree. I often pop-up, but only when going behind the tandem on a fly-around. IMHO, being in this spot relative to the tandem is extremely dangerous. Even if the TI wasn't about to pull,...you never know. Just yesterday I video'd a student who unexpectedly grabbed for the RC at around 9K.

vdshoor said all . Your just dam lucky you or the instructor /student didn't get hurt or killed ! Sorry guys but this upsets me . You need to be a tandem instructor before you jump with a tandem. This way you know everything thats going on with the tandem.