superstu

post your best shot

These could also be posted in the " Any pictures of yourself Working?" except they aren't of me working...

as a camera flier I don't get many pictures of myself working and I figured I'd chase some of my friends/coworkers at the dz to get them working... I also got to see their "workflow" which was very interesting... and a lot of fun...

1 and 2 are my favorites from the weekend... but I got several other great ones...

(1) is of Mel Johnson,
(2) is of Niklas Hemlin, and
(4) is of Brad Hunt.

I hope you enjoy.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I like 2nd the most. :)
One question though, aren`t the guy on pic 3 too far from the subject?
Since I began back/sit flying i almost never use it for tandems freefall except for exit/opening. Even if I`m at leg distance from passenger the person seems too far in frame (on 0.5ish range wide adapter). Or is it just me?

dudeist skydiver #42

I like 2nd the most. :)
Since I began back/sit flying i almost never use it for tandems freefall except for exit/opening. Even if I`m at leg distance from passenger the person seems too far in frame (on 0.5ish range wide adapter). Or is it just me?

He didn't spend the entire time at that distance and he more or less did the transistion to backflying towards the end of the skydive... and had started backing up for the deplyment...

I also had started moving back as well...

Niklas actually had the most interesting/dynamic workflow in the sky... he also doesn't backfly but with well over 10K skydives on his belly he is very good at getting what he wants...

although all 4 of the tandem video fliers I went with are very good at what they do...

as far as my favorite I'm split between 1 and 2... as I really enjoy the expression on the students face in the first shot along with permagrin on Mel's Face... B|

Whereas the second shot is just cool... B| I got some others that i liked as well but haven't post-processed yet... :$

I also had started moving back as well...

Me too...

Whereas the second shot is just cool... B| I got some others that i liked as well but haven't post-processed yet... :$

I like the depth/distance perception from your standpoint. And i like vidiot position. Spear like... :)
dudeist skydiver #42

I was gonna say something earlier and bit my tongue. But now it's healed. I totally agree and think all of them are too far from the subject. I get a little annoyed at videots (here the term is apropos) who like putting themselves or their feet in the video at the expense of the paying customer. I see too much "creative" flying (and self-absorbed ground narrative) that detracts, not adds to the end product. It is all about the customer, a little about the TI and not at all about the videographer.

Sure I'll catch a ration for saying this, but that's how I feel.

I've been on the other side looking at all three of those flyers in freefall this year so I know the typical diveflow with all of them. Mel is amazing well at keeping her feet out of frame and typically you only see it in video when the TI grabs it and puts it in the students hand. At that point shes steep enough that its rare to see it but it lets her get some shots that are steep enough that the TI is almost hidden behind the student and you get the drogue in frame too.REALLY nice photos at that angle.

The last photo on the other hand I'll bet was less then 1-2 seconds from drogue release. I MUCH prefer having the video guy sink out on me at the end then the few that like to be in my face through the entire pull sequence. Its a bit unnerving to have someone that's only 5-6 feet out at drogue pull and have a hesitation and the trapdoor kicks in and you can see now the video person is getting 20 feet high on you as you are flying basically drogueless for 1-2 seconds or so until opening kicks in. That's just asking for them to get sucked into you if your student is driving with their legs during that time.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I was asking b/c here nobody does backfly with tandems, and all I see on the internet pictures is vidiot`s legs in frame or something similar. I get the "get further away at opening" part as scott mentioned, but I was unsure if it was common practice over there to fly on back all the freefall. Since I got back from tunnel I like to backfly very much, I love front float freefly exits and I was eager to apply some more freeflying in tandem videos, but I can`t figure what would be right "moves". Not much outside videos that picture tandem vidiots at work. [:/]

dudeist skydiver #42

I was asking b/c here nobody does backfly with tandems, and all I see on the internet pictures is vidiot`s legs in frame or something similar. I get the "get further away at opening" part as scott mentioned, but I was unsure if it was common practice over there to fly on back all the freefall. Since I got back from tunnel I like to backfly very much, I love front float freefly exits and I was eager to apply some more freeflying in tandem videos, but I can`t figure what would be right "moves". Not much outside videos that picture tandem vidiots at work. [:/]

It really depends on the skillset of the flyer... there are several of us that primarily do FS and have lots of experience doing belly flying (e.g. Niklas, John, Mike, myself) and thus we primarily are on our belly shooting tandems... (except for perhaps exits where even I freefly for a short period of time... although I haven't dialed in front float exits...)

whereas several others (eg, Brad, Mel) are primarily freeflyers will generally mix it up and incorporate backflying into their diveflow...

one or the other isn't right or wrong... I do agree that keeping feet or hands out of the frame (unless you give a hand or foot to the student) is not good camera control or body control on the part of the camera flyer... and I'm even reluctant to say seeing the "ghost hand" come in from the side of the frame is a good thing... but that's just my opinion... other people are welcome to have other opinions of their own... ;)

I'm also not the most experienced camera flier around... as I only have about 600-700 camera jumps... :$