superstu

post your best shot

Like this? =)

I had to search youtube to see where it was and how the effect would be :$ But the picture got a lot better! =)

Phreezone: if you look 2" to the left and down from her left knee there's some lensflare..or that's what I would describe as lens flare.

edit: Sigma 15mm f2.8 with f11(and 1/640+ISO 400)

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

Yeh, that looks better... but unless the shadows are really bad (which yours weren't) I rarely fix shadows AND highlights at the same time, as it makes the colors look really fake and kills depth. Try touching only the highlights (not the shadows), and I'd push them even further than you did. I'll give it a shot of my own when I am back on my home PC with PS.

There are more advanced ways to do it like using curves, or even a fake HDR with curves/layers/masking, but they're more difficult and often yield very similar results.

And yeh, I'm calling the same thing a lens flare that you are referring to...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Ok, I applied a little bit more highlight tweaking then you did, also did a really quick clone stamp job to kind of get rid of the lens flare (still visible but a lot less) and I added a tiny saturation and a few other things, and a USM. Here is the result. I probably overdid it a bit with the saturation, but the main point was to see how much of the highlights we could get back (which unfortunately wasn't much... there is a lot of blown out regions to begin with).
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I would do exactly the same thing you did, but I noticed the jumper kinda does not pop out anymore. May be it's my monitor. When I do a similar PP, like a person under canopy, I cannot get it to come out the way I want. Saturation in the back ground and the jumper standing out, instead of dissipating into the back ground. Does anyone know how to achieve localized touch up without going into complicated layering?

I use DPP. (Hey it’s free and I think it is very good. Downside is that it does not let you tilt image. I hate tilted horizon.)
I have tried Aperture 2, but I was not impressed. I will try Lightroom to see what you mean. But isn’t adjustment brush more like dodging and burning tool? Is it same as layering?

I was thinking this might be a nice feature.
http://www.niksoftware.com/viveza/usa/entry.php?view=intro/viveza2_features.shtml
Looks to me, it is a true localized touch up without layering. I don’t know how well it works though. I have not tried, because I am not sure if the trial version works with the snow leopard (I had issues with DPP and my colorimeter when I up graded to the snow leopard.).

Thanks for the tip. I will try lightroom.

The adjustment brush in lightroom lets you choose from a bunch of types of adjustment. Everything from exposure to skin smoothing. Nowhere near as powerful as the masking tools in photoshop, but it's quick and easy. And all changes are non-destructive, so you can always modify/undo.

I tried DPP for about a day and realized that I needed something much much faster for the volume of pictures I take.

Dave

Damien has worked with us or nearly a year, driving the bus and living with us in the staff house since the summer; we finally got our very good friend up for his first jump.

He released the ashes of his friend on the year anniversary of his passing, making it an extra-special occasion for him.

The second one could be borderline NSFW
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

A couple of my Favorites from the last few weeks...

A 9-way that wasn't in the best part of the sky... everybody made it back safely...

A 4-way exit where point got a helping hand from Niklas in the outside center position.

A shot taken while chasing my wife under canopy...

And shot of a couple of the demo team members landing.

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...