superstu

post your best shot

Secrets of the trade my man! ;)

I'm guessing a Digital Rebel XSi, 15mm lens (probably the Canon or Sigma f/2.8), ISO 100, aperture priority at f/5. I might consider stopping down a bit.

Edit: Gah, Dave beat me. I still stand by my stopping-down comment.

I love exif (and the firefox exif viewer).

Its nice, but exif in general is limited to those photos that werent edited at all. Rarely professional photographers leave their photos untouched, and those are the photos I would find interesting in terms of EXIF data anyway..

markowgti:
I never ment to say anything bad about YOUR photos. Definetly very nice freefall photography. I was merely commenting on the importance of being able to view EXIF data in general. Your photos are exellent potential. Really sorry if in a way this implied your photos to be bad in anyway.. (they definetly are not)

My point merely was that photography doesnt end where you press the shutter. It ends when you feel you have achieved the result you wanted. Thats it. IMO shooting the photo is only one small phase on the workflow towards a good photo. If you dont believe me, try to find one GOOD photo on any magazine shot by a pro that was not post processed. No one leaves their work half way. And thats why those photos that are so to say finished dont have EXIF data in them...

Personally im just beginning to grasp the potential of dark room phase and post prosessing phase of digital photography. Im just about to realize how little I know about it...

Anyways, very important phases in creating a photo IMO. (I go and get another beer) :P

IMO shooting the photo is only one small phase on the workflow towards a good photo.

I'm sure that's not *quite* what you meant, right?
Getting the photo is the most important "phase."
Otherwise, it's just "fixing it in post" and that's never a good idea. Post is generally for enhancing what is already great, not for fixing what isn't so great, or so it is in our house, anyway.

IMO shooting the photo is only one small phase on the workflow towards a good photo.

I'm sure that's not *quite* what you meant, right?
Getting the photo is the most important "phase."
Otherwise, it's just "fixing it in post" and that's never a good idea. Post is generally for enhancing what is already great, not for fixing what isn't so great, or so it is in our house, anyway.

I may have exaggerated a little. Ofcourse the importance of PP varies within different diciplines of photography. On journalistic photos the importance is very small. They are not even supposed to be post processed very much. There shooting the photo is the biggest phase..

On the other hand some advertizing photoshoots are very different. Often takes carefull planning and casting and organizing before the photoshoot even takes place. After the photoshoot the Post processing phase can take a long time. In this situation shooting the photo is quite a small phase I would say..

I may have exaggerated a little. Ofcourse the importance of PP varies within different diciplines of photography. On journalistic photos the importance is very small. They are not even supposed to be post processed very much. There shooting the photo is the biggest phase..

On the other hand some advertizing photoshoots are very different. Often takes carefull planning and casting and organizing before the photoshoot even takes place. After the photoshoot the Post processing phase can take a long time. In this situation shooting the photo is quite a small phase I would say..

I respectfully disagree. Try working outside of skydiving as a photographer.
I really don't want to derail this thread, so perhaps should split it off.
The shot is ALWAYS an important "phase" of photography.
All that time spent in pre-production is so that we can avoid spending more time in where??
Production. (shooting the photo).
All that time spent in shooting the photo is so we can save time where? In post.

Whether it's skydiving or a Vogue cover shot, Mom taking picture for the family Christmas book, or shooting object/industrial; snapping the shutter is a significant, if not the most significant aspect of any photography endeavors. You can't fix angles, can't fix most compositional aspects, can't fix gross lighting problems in post. No matter how good you are.

The short answer;
The more importance given to Pre-production saves production and post production time.
The more quality induced during Production results in less production and post production time.
The end game is to avoid as much post as possible, because of the three, it's by far the most expensive.
Even if you're shooting markers and cheats on a greenscreen, production (taking the picture) is still exceptionally important from both lighting and compositional aspects.