superstu

post your best shot

This what makes camera so dangerous. We always put ourselves in harms way to get the shot. But hey then again it's all about getting the shot huh!

Unfortunately I put somebody else in harm's way there. [:/] I got a good video of his face giving me a WTF look as I went by though.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

...we were seperated(sic) pretty good horizontally...

I hope you know that your separation horizontally is irrelevant in this case. It is separation in the relative wind that is most important. Regardless of your horizontal position, if you can see their backs (when they are belly flying), you are in the kill zone. Of course, that's where a lot of RW videographers spend most of their time...

we were seperated pretty good horizontally, but still had some forward movement when he pitched, hence the horizontal drouge deployment.

the "accidents" generally produce some of the best results...

That shot is bullshit, and so is your excuse. It's quite clear that the tandem is on the bottom of the hill, and that the drouge is going to have a horizontal component to it's throw.

Regardless of that, you are in the relative wind and can clearly feel what direction it's coming from. If the tandem pair is in that direction, and the drouge is not out, you are in the worst possible place. All it would have taken was a mis-rigged drouge release to turn that drouge into a pilot chute, and you would have been inside a deploying tandem canopy.

Even if you cannot see their back, TIs have been know to throw the drouge from an unstable body position. Upwind on the relative wind, in any way shape or form is very bad news, and sloppy flying on your part.

Just to add a little more info, for those who didn't notice- the photographers fingertips are present in quite a few of the freefall photos, leading my to believe that he's jumping a 15mm lens or shorter. If you look at how close the drouge is in the photo in question, and you factor in that it was shot with a very short lens, you realize how close he really was.

Getting hit with a drouge can cause an entaglement with the drouge or damage to the drouge itself, both of which are serious saftey issues for the tandem pair.

Don't be impressed with this photo, or the photographers assertion that 'accidents' produce the best shots. Practice, training, and skill produce the best shots. Accidents produce dead skydivers.

jesus christ man, it was my first day

I can't tell if this is a joke or not. Either way, it wasn't your first day on a DZ. Even the most remedial training for a tandem video person makes it clear to never be above or below the tandem at any time. The worst times are before the drouge toss, and close to deployment because then when things are most likey to be chaning in a big way.

No images to share here. I leave all my stuff at the DZ, including memory cards. I don't do anythying with my cameras away from the DZ, so taking them away from there is just setting myself up to forget them on my next trip to the DZ.

I used to be more interested in my footage beyond the jump itself. I did some editing for awhile, and used to enjoy developing a roll of stills to see what was what. Since then I started to work at a DZ that provides an editor, and shooting digital stills.

I'll review my stills in-camera after each jump, and I watch over the editors shoulder to make sure the video looked good. Otherwise, I'm only interested in cameras if they're on my helmet, and I'm in the jump plane.

so whats the deal with the camera step then? do you front float oyur tandem videos?

If the jumprun is flying into the sun, then you can front float the exit to get the lighting right. It's not always needed, but there are certain times of day where the sun is directly in your face if you fly a standard exit off the step.

Edit to add - I should have mentioned that front floating the exit requires you to backfly it. If you are not well versed in backflying, front floating stands a good chance of dropping you right in front of the tandem, directly upwind on the relative wind. It's bad if you have a premie, but even without that you are probably stealing the tandems air, not good for the TI who is subterminal with no drouge out just yet.

When you're on the camera step, and the tandem is in the door, the rig itself is generally still in the plane. You should be clear of the step by the time the rig leaves the plane due to your exiting a few feet before the tandem.

If you miss the count, do not simply exit ASAP right next to the tandem. In that case you would be direcltly downwind of the tandem, and the soon to be deployed drouge. Mentally, it's a tough thing to do, but once you miss your window you have to erase that sense of urgency from your mind and let the tandem exit, then roll off and dive down the hill after them.

There will always be some risk of premature deployments and entanglements any time you climb outside of the plane with other jumpers around. These risks are reduced because you check your gear before you exit, you are careful not to rub/drag your rig across anything on the plane, and the jumprun speed is about 60% of freefall speed. If your gear cannot hold together at 80 on the camera step, what would you expect it to do at 120 in freefall?

can you post a picture of your setup?

Scott, I didn't get a chance yesterday to post it.

I used the L-bracket the FTP came with to mount the flash. The other L-bracket I had made a few years ago and just mounted the flash bracket to that. so far so good.

p.s. don't ask about all the gaffers tape.
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"