superstu

post your best shot

Something to think about.

Your premy could have been caused by rubbing your rig against the door frame. I try to exit facing the oposite way i will be facing while floating, and twist 180 to get into position. Just my opinion.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I reach and feel for where my hack is multiple times while I'm getting in the door and while in the door. Our Master Rigger was in the 2nd group out of the plane, and he said he didnt see anything when I prepared for exit. After talking with him for a while we think the most likely is that my right arm may have brushed up against my bridal or hack while in transition and then the wind got under it. I guess I'll never really know. Thanks for the input, I will think more about my exit procedure on my next jump

You should look at your PC pouch, and how you pack your pilot chute. Seeing as the deployment was 'conventional' it would appear that your pilot chute escaped your pouch. Even at freefly speeds, a loose bridle is unlikely to extract your PC, in fact it would be more likely to unseat your pin. Of course this would have led to an out-of-sequence deployment (or horseshoe) both of which would have resulted in a more 'interesting' opening.

As such, the condition of your pouch is one thing to consider, but I'm sure that has already been looked at. If your PC is folded in such a way that it can unfold lengthwise, or just shoved in there as one long bundle. a section of PC can escape the pouch. The high speeds of freeflying will cause the loose end to flap hard enough to work the whole thing out.

Look for a PC folding method that creates a tight bundle that cannot be unfolded, and that is big enough that the mouth of the pouch will keep it from escaping.

Get a little crazy about your gear, it's packing, and maintenence. Especially if you're freeflying, you run the risk of damaging yourself or part of your rig you can't cutaway. It's worth it to spend whatever you need to spend, and be a real stickler about your packing.

Is that a belly band he's got on there? I hope so, seeing as he's not wearing a chest strap.

It is a belly band

Also, ask DSE about 'holding' your toggles like that.

At 3000 jumps and a highly technical swooper, I trust he has it handled. Of course we could risk-access everything, I suppose.

It's all fun and games until you bounce of the pond, drop a toggle, and fall halfway out of your harness.

The price paid to compete. This is skydiving, ya know.

Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

At 3000 jumps and a highly technical swooper, I trust he has it handled. Of course we could risk-access everything, I suppose.

Rickster Powell, the godfather of swooping clipped a tree and did himself in good a few years back. At the time, he had more than 3000 jumps on the model and size canopy he was jumping.

I'm not sure how wrapping a ring finger and pinky around that toggle is going to effect his swooping, but not doing so has proven to have a negative effect for several other jumpers. I'm 2000 jumps ahead of the guy, and I've been gripping my toggles securely the whole time.

Everyone is going to do whatever they want, I know that. I just want make sure that the people who view the photo can see what I can see, and in turn make informed decisions about how they conduct their own skydives.

ok guys - I'll play too

made accidently when my go pro got a bump on exit making it look right ove the edge of my helmet. I almost deleted the whole series, luckily when quickly browsing I caught our shadows on top of heavy industrial haze
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

From yesterday...

Last 2 were supposed to be a high hop n' pop at sunset for some pretty pictures. But a high overcast made it especially dark. Bumped the camera to ISO 3200, which looks awful. But I managed to get some that are alright, if you ignore the noise. Never got city lights in the background like that before.

Dave

Rickster Powell, the godfather of swooping clipped a tree and did himself in good a few years back. At the time, he had more than 3000 jumps on the model and size canopy he was jumping.

And that has to do with what? Rickster did a lot of stupid shit. He was the crash test dummy of his time.

I'm not sure how wrapping a ring finger and pinky around that toggle is going to effect his swooping, but not doing so has proven to have a negative effect for several other jumpers. I'm 2000 jumps ahead of the guy, and I've been gripping my toggles securely the whole time.

You and me both, since my first ride on an Excalibur. If it makes you feel any better, I never seen him open-handed like that until he's well into the swoop and starting to work the back half. Not sayin' that makes it wise, but swooping itself is a bit of a population clearing discipline anyway.

Everyone is going to do whatever they want, I know that. I just want make sure that the people who view the photo can see what I can see, and in turn make informed decisions about how they conduct their own skydives.

Agreed.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

But not the safest place to be. I'm assuming he was not there intentionally, and it was on the exit that he ended up there?
Lets hope it wasn't on purpose!

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

The thing about flying camera is "always expect the unexpected"
A drogue can come out at any time. And so can a main on deployment of the drogue. I have witnessed and experienced this to many times !
Be careful out there , the reaper is chasing you! :)

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

the "accidents" generally produce some of the best results...

So true.

This gem was taken a fraction of a second before I nearly collided with the leader of that formation. I had my body in a REALLY weird tweaked position to try to get this certain angle with the flock and the sunset both in frame, while still flying in the right direction myself. I got fixated on my shot and didn't realize the flock started changing heading, and ended up passing by at way too high a rate of speed, way too close. One of the stupidest things I've done in a long time, and one of the nicest shots I've got in a long time. I'm pretty sure the tongue switch was activated by panic as I realized what was happening. But this is the shot I was after... :$ I guess it wasn't entirely an accident then. But still stupid.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

This what makes camera so dangerous. We always put ourselves in harms way to get the shot. But hey then again it's all about getting the shot huh!