mwabd1

raw, jpeg, fine?

Alright I have searched and searched and searched but have not found an acceptible answer yet. I have been playing with my 20D and just wondered what everyone is shooting as far as RAW, JPEG, s, m, l, FINE, etc. If I understand it right raw is uncompressed....there by taking more space. Basically I am just trying to find out if there is an advantage one way or another as far as printable photos........I have also read that if you over expose while shooting in raw that you will not be able to tell by the LCD as it is shown in JPEG.......yes I am taking a class specifically for the 20D but it is not until next month.

thanks

good question, curious myself. I've been using jpeg, and get a lot more on the card. I've blown up 11x17 prints, and they look just fine. Don't really see the advantage of RAW since the places I've taken the pictures to to get enlarged only accept jpeg or bitmap.
my pics & stuff!

Most people I know, including commercial and news photographers, use Jpeg "fine".

The only time I would consider RAW is a studio environment where you're trying to get the absolute best out of the image and are going to possibly do a lot of tweeking for color matching.

RAW just takes up -way- too much space, but more importantly takes -way- too much time to write to the card for skydiving.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

So far I've noticed that the biggest advantage of RAW is post-processing. JPEG is a lossy format. You get smaller files, true, but you pay in quality. For most people, they couldn't tell the difference if their life depended on it. ;)

By post processing, I mean that you can change many of the shooting parameters AFTER exposure. You can't change the exposure (obviously) and you can't change the ISO, but you can change many other parameters.

A second advantage of shooting a RAW file is that you can also perform the conversion to an 8-bit or 16-bit TIFF file. TIFF files are larger than JPEG files, but they retain the full quality of the image. They can be compressed or uncompressed, but the compression scheme is lossless, meaning that although the file gets a little smaller, no information is lost.

The main reason to shoot JPEG is that you get more shots on a memory card and it's faster, both in camera and afterwards. If you shoot RAW files you have to then convert them to TIFF or JPEG on a PC before you can view or print them. If you have hundreds of images, this can take some time. If you know you have the correct exposure and white balance as well as the optimum camera set parameters, then a high quality JPEG will give you a print just as good as one from a converted RAW file, so you may as well shoot JPEG.

You shoot RAW when you expect to have to do some post exposure processing. If you're not sure about exposure or white balance, or if you want to maintain the maximum possible allowable post exposure processing, then you'll want to shoot RAW files, convert to 16-bit TIFF, do all your processing, then convert to 8-bit files for printing. You lose nothing by shooting RAW except for time and the number of images you can fit on a memory card.

I got my Digital Rebel XT a couple days ago, but you can tell I've been doing a lot of research on digital photography. Well, that, and I also know how to cut and paste. :)
~Chivo

I use RAW for everything but skydiving and sports. It just takes too much time to write RAW for continuous drive shooting. For skydiving I always shoot JPG-fine.

RAW holds up much better to post processing and tweaking - I use C1 PRO for RAW conversion and it allows for a lot of flexibility. Good shots get output to a 16-bit TIF then to Noise Ninja (if its high ISO shooting) and from there to Photoshop for sharpening, cropping.