theonlyski

B-License Canopy Control Proficency Card

Why not do it for the "A" license?

There is already a canopy section on the A-license Proficiency Card:

He does have a point.

Any decent DZ or Instructor would see that students get more than simply what is on the A-card. Unfortunately, that's not true everywhere.

Hell, there's not much DZs and Instructors CAN agree on for student training.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

He does have a point.

Any decent DZ or Instructor would see that students get more than simply what is on the A-card. Unfortunately, that's not true everywhere.

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

When I first read the new B-license card my first thought was "That's it? This should not be stuff people with 50 jumps need to LEARN - it is the absolute basics to be left alone in the sky." However, it is a step in the right direction IMO, and should be applauded for being something rather than nothing.

I was just pointing out that there is canopy work on the A-card, however limited.

What we really need is a culture where canopy education is cool and people take pride in how they fly their canopies rather than just being proud of the canopy they fly. If that could ever be achieved then real change could be seen.

I don't know how to effect such a paradigm shift in the population, but I am sure that the massive emphasis placed on freefall in the AFF syllabus does set new jumpers out into the world with the wrong mindset.

Why not do it for the "A" license?

There is already a canopy section on the A-license Proficiency Card:

He does have a point.

Hell, there's not much DZs and Instructors CAN agree on for student training.

Ahhh! Common Assessments! Any professional educator (people with advanced degrees in education) can show you what a nightmare they can be. But they are, when implemented correctly, very affective. It seems to me, proficiency cards are a first step towards “common assessments”.

I for one have already printed the new proficiency card and plan to work on it. I’ve always said, skydivers need to be life-long learners of the sport, reguardless of your experience level.
:)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

What we really need is a culture where canopy education is cool and people take pride in how they fly their canopies rather than just being proud of the canopy they fly. If that could ever be achieved then real change could be seen.

I don't know how to effect such a paradigm shift in the population, but I am sure that the massive emphasis placed on freefall in the AFF syllabus does set new jumpers out into the world with the wrong mindset.

:)Those are the two best paragraphs I've ever seen you post. All too true. Good stuff!

Oh...I don't mean that in a left-handed way.

You hit the nail on the head about the culture changing. That is what make will make a difference. I took a canopy course and to me it was invaluable information.

Now I'm not an every weekend jumper[:/] (wish I could be) but I'm shocked at how little some people with more jumps than me know about canopy flight and hurry to down size to jump a cool canopy.. What's cool to me is enjoying my jump and flight and driving home that day with a big smile on my face :)

Sorry for the resurrection of an old thread. I didn't pay attention the first time around because I never planned on getting anything other than an A. Turns out, I need a C stat!

I downloaded the application license just today and nowhere does it talk about the proficiency card or requirements. (I have the card from a link that ski provided) Has the site been updated? Has this gone into effect? Do I need to send it in? Lastly, I vaguely recall questions if an S&TA really had to sign off on it or not. Is this the case? The card clearly states that they do, so I'm guessing so.

Sorry for the resurrection of an old thread. I didn't pay attention the first time around because I never planned on getting anything other than an A. Turns out, I need a C stat!

I downloaded the application license just today and nowhere does it talk about the proficiency card or requirements. (I have the card from a link that ski provided) Has the site been updated? Has this gone into effect? Do I need to send it in? Lastly, I vaguely recall questions if an S&TA really had to sign off on it or not. Is this the case? The card clearly states that they do, so I'm guessing so.

To get a C, you need to have or meet all the qualifications for a B which now includes the canopy prof card.

If you send your license paperwork in without it, they will not process it.

C License

3. Persons holding a USPA C license are able to exercise all privileges of a B-license holder, are eligible for the USPA Instructor rating (except USPA Tandem Instructor), participate in certain demonstration jumps, may ride as passenger on USPA Tandem Instructor training and rating renewal jumps, and must have--

a. met all current requirements for or hold a USPA B license

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

a. met all current requirements for or hold a USPA B license

Well I know that much. My question was about the requirement itself. It's not listed as a requirement on the application.

Don’t Lose Your License Application

Don't sit on that license application any longer! There are two good reasons to submit your application now:
Starting January 1, 2012, applicants for B licenses—and those submitting for higher licenses who do not already hold a B—will have to include the new Canopy Piloting Proficiency Card. Any application received January 1 or later will require the completed and signed canopy card.
The longer you carry your completed license proficiency card, the greater chance it will be lost. USPA has received several calls in the past week from members who held their cards all summer and now can’t find them. These members now must reconstruct their cards. Make copies of the originals for safekeeping, and submit them once complete. License applications can be faxed to 540-604-9741, e-mailed or mailed to USPA, 5401 Southpoint Centre Blvd., Fredericksburg, VA 22407.

From the USPA Update email (that as far as I know, all USPA members they have email addresses for get) 12/21/2011
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Oh come on! You know me. Do you think I actually read my emails?

Now that I am aware it is a requirement I will send it in. However the only reason I was even aware was because I vaguely remembered this thread. Many people don't read this (or their emails) I would think that it would be included on the application. Otherwise, how is one to know??

Oh come on! You know me. Do you think I actually read my emails?

Now that I am aware it is a requirement I will send it in. However the only reason I was even aware was because I vaguely remembered this thread. Many people don't read this (or their emails) I would think that it would be included on the application. Otherwise, how is one to know??

Instructors/S&TA's at the dz (ya know, the ones signing license applications) should all be informed about this. Worst case, you get an email or call from USPA saying it was rejected because you were missing the card.

I haven't been to the dropzone in almost 5 months! I'll figure it out though.

When we had lunch Monday you said you've been jumping a lot!

You didn't say which dz! :P

On several physical related points I have struggled with AFF. I have also done a few static line jumps, always on the line. After my first AFF C2 jump I decided I would not do AFF any longer, but would start static line progression with the goal to get my solo status by that method. I have already completed all of my category D canopy tasks, so I am ahead of the game in the canopy area.

Looking at this B-License Canopy Control Proficiency Card and the fact I have a lot of canopy rides in front of me as a SLS, I am thinking it would be a good idea to pursue the B-License Canopy Control Proficiency requirements on the way down. I know I will have to see how the local DZ will handle this training, but from the standpoint of a low jump student, I don’t see any reason not to work on this.

Right?

Thanks,
Dan
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

It's a good idea to work on all that stuff even without the CC card requirement.

They made it a requirement because, for one, so many bozos weren't learning the basics and hurting themselves and others.