Tee

Max weight for a Tempo 120???

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone knew the max weight for a tempo 120. I can't seem to get a hold of PISA or Aerodyne Research and the specs I found on the net say 135 pounds! :o If so, why is it significantly lower than say a PD 120...or does the lower pack volume answer that for me?

Thanks for your input. :)
Tee

ok, the max weight is put on it for the best performance of the reserve. it doesn't mean it won't hold you at all (it's tso'd at a much higher weight, 256 pounds). i have friends that have tempo 120's that are 200 pounds out the door, and landed them great. i have jumped a tempo 120, at 180 out the door (when i jumped it, i'm a bit more now;)). and it landed great.

now, i'm not recmending at all you go over the manufactorers max weight limit. it's not good to that, BUT many many people do it every day, and are fine.

later

I was just concerned it will blow up on him

no, it won't blow up on him (knock on wood, knock knock knock). it should be just fine.:)
and i hope he has a smaller rig that he is putting it into. the 120's pack volume is much smaller than the 150, and won't go in the same rig a 150 tempo would.

later

Canopy manufacturers often publish two sets of limits on reserve canopies.
The first limit is usually an "absolute maximum" of 254 suspended weight because that the highest weight that the FAA would approve - until recently. This number reflects the maximum weight they expect the canopy to survive opening with.
The second number is often much smaller and reflects the maximum weight that they expect ankles to survive.

Now getting into opinions. A couple of years ago PISA introduced spanwise reinforcing tapes and re-tested their Tempo reserves. Even though the reinforced Tempos survived opening shock at heavier weights, they declined to publish heavier weights for fear that it would encourage fat boys to jump tiny reserves that they lacked the skills to land gracefully. On that note you can probably overload a span-wise reinforced Tempo and survive, but I would not chance it with an early Tempo.
The real question is whether non-reinforced reserves will survive unstable openings when they are over-weight and over-speed.

Manufacturer recommendations are there for a reason...just because the canopy passed the tests at the FAA's max loadings doesn't mean you have any business jumping anywhere near those loadings. Mfgs are notoriously conservative with loadings, and for good reason.

Just keep this stuff in mind when you decide to over-load the last chance you've got in the world!

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."