feuergnom

Re: [Newbie] Please help - soon to fly camera and want to be as safe as possible

i bet one of the answers in here will be: get more jumps and ask again when you have logged 400+ :|

so to be on the constructive side: there's more to it than just mounting a funky stateoftheart camera to your helmet.
ask yourself what you are going to put on video. will it be tandems, or FF or are you more into filming RW? can you fly your slot in all these categories?
from my experience: having experience in RW definitely helps, having mentors helps even more. meke small steps, proceed slowly and learn from the mistakes of others - and be sure that there's a lot of f***-ups when wearing a camera-helmet.

and as probably mentioned many times in here: talk to real people and don't rely on infos posted on the net :)

feel free to pm me if you want
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

Do lots of relative work, starting on your belly. Get so good that flying CONSISTENTLY 1 yard from others becomes second nature. You want to progress through the cognitive and associative stages until you operate in the autonomous stage. In other words, flying your slot should be a Zen Bhuddist "mindless" activity, without conscious thought on your part.
Then repeat all those exercises in a sit, then in a stand, then head-down until you can "mindlessly" fly head-down a consistent yard from your buddy despite his wildest gyrations and fall-rate changes.
Good!
Those exercise should keep you busy for the next few hundred jumps!

Do lots of relative work, starting on your belly. Get so good that flying CONSISTENTLY 1 yard from others becomes second nature. You want to progress through the cognitive and associative stages until you operate in the autonomous stage. In other words, flying your slot should be a Zen Bhuddist "mindless" activity, without conscious thought on your part.
Then repeat all those exercises in a sit, then in a stand, then head-down until you can "mindlessly" fly head-down a consistent yard from your buddy despite his wildest gyrations and fall-rate changes.
Good!
Those exercise should keep you busy for the next few hundred jumps!

Well Said!!

I dont thing there is any particular need to be able to do all of that if your first interest is filming RW. The other stuff about being able to fly your slot flawlessly without consious input is certainly important. The first thing you will notice when jumping with a camera is that it can become a massive distraction. I would call it 'shot syndyone' :) You have enough jumps to try jumping with one, just dont try anything you wouldnt normally do. My first action would be to get some good advice from a seasoned camera flyer at your local DZ and take it from there.

Safe swoops,

Warwick University Skydiving Club

I don't think there is any particular need to be able to do all of that if your first interest is filming RW.

Just my 2 cents but WRONG! You need to be proficient at flying all diciplines, filming tandems, RW, freeflying is not as easy as it looks and if you are not a proficient flyer you will only be a danger to the people you are trying to film.

You have enough jumps to try jumping with one, just don't try anything you wouldn't normally do.

Yea I'm sure you can strap a camera on your head and do fine but don't rush it, there is no need for you to jump into something that could very easily get you and / or others hurt!

I don't think there is any particular need to be able to do all of that if your first interest is filming RW.

Just my 2 cents but WRONG!

I understand what you are saying but what would you say to an oldschool jumper who has 2000 jumps + alot of tunnel time, ex world championship medalist who doesnt /cant freefly who now just films 4-way comps?

Warwick University Skydiving Club

IMO - I would probably tell them the same thing.

BUT if they were obviously so proficient at what they did - I wouldn't give a second thought to having them on the load with me.

Chances are - even on their belly - they've probably seen more & had to respond to more stuff in the air than we could throw at them in one jump.

But I have to agree - (and I'm stuggling with this myself) - flying your body regardless of position or discipline just makes one a well-rounded flyer...
...therefore, a safer flyer!
B|

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Kiwi, RB #926, AFF-I, FAA Snr. Rigger, RN/BSN/Paramedic