danweits

Still lens for Canon EOS-300

Hey all,
I know there were some posts here about it (which I read) but I have to ask again simply because I can't get the bottom line.

I'm about to start filming tandems and I need a wide angle lens for my Canon, I understand there are two main choices: 24mm and 28mm.
then there is the aperture issue f/2.8 or f/1.8
ofcourse there are many more but I narrowed down my options to avoid complications...

so, what shall it be for a beginner?

Thanks.
Dan

it is the 35mm SLR

Go with the 28. It's more likely to match your video camera's view (I use a Sony .6 which is like a Kenko .45 in view).

f2.8 will do ya, but if you have the dough go for the 1.8. :^)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

the "f2.8" (large opening) or "f1.8" (larger opening) refers to the "f-stop" which tells you how much light the lens can take in. The lower the number the more light & glass there is to let the light into the film or sensor. The higher the number, ie... "f22" the less light let in. more expensive lenses with better glass tend to have a wider range for their iris that allows you to take pictures with a faster shutter speed in lower light situations.:)matt

Thanks..

f2.8 will do ya, but if you have the dough go for the 1.8. :^)

what is the difference? 1.8 makes the image sharper?!

To add to what newshooter said already....and still keep it simple....

The larger the iris opening (smaller fstop number), the shallower the image's depth of field is. You have to be alot more conscious of where your focus is for the image you want to be sharp to be in focus.

The smaller the iris opening (larger fstop number) the deeper image depth of field. You can have things that are closer...and things that are farther away....still in focus at the same time.

For casual flying you can be safe in setting up for an fstop of about 8 or so. Gives you a fast enough shutter speed along with a decent depth of field. That is, on sunny days. :)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

>>what is the difference? 1.8 makes the image sharper?! <<

No. The 1.8 lets in more light so you can use a faster shutter speed for a given light level. It does this at the expense of depth of field. The 28/1.8 is widely regarded as being a softer (as opposed to sharper) lens than the 28/2.8.

The cheaper 28/2.8 is the one you want unless you are taking photos in really low light.

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

The Canon EF 28 is a fantastic lens (for the price) for skydiving applications. It's light, small, and the field of view matches up very nicely with a good number of video wide angle lenses commonly used (e.g. the Sony .6 as has been mentioned).

You will want to shoot horizontally with a 28 though. If you plan on mounting and shooting vertically, you would be better with a 24, or you will almost never get arms in your pictures (on tandems) unless you stay way back.

Canuck